Using BOTH activated carbon and peat filtration?

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello all,

I am using peat in my filters to lower the pH and soften the water for months now and I like it, but the water gets tinted quite fast reducing the light for the plants. So, I've been wondering can one use peat for it's softening and pH lowering capabilities and carbon to remove the tint at the same time? Or would that be a "filling a bucket which has a hole at the bottom" situation?

Orion5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi!

I love using peat. Depending on what kind of fish you have the tea-color can actually enhance the colors of the fish (neons, angelfish). I haven't experienced any problems with the tannins blocking light to my plants, but one never knows...

You can certainly use carbon with peat, and it won't affect the pH. I'm just not sure if it's going to take the tannins (brown color) out of the aquarium. If it does, then you're good to go! Of course it will be a bit of a strange cycle- the peat releasing tannins and your carbon taking them up again... Maybe you could use the peat for a few days to get the pH to the desired level, and then swap the peat for carbon to correct the color. That might be the best way, as opposed to having them both in the tank at the same time.

Hope this helps! Do keep us posted if the carbon works well.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I kinda like the tea-colored water especially with the neons but I miss the crystal clear water look. I've read that the AC actually raises the pH. I have sensitive fish in there so I don't want to risk with pH flunctuations. The tank is a 32 gallon one and my stock is 1 Angelfish, 10 harlequins, 5 neons (getting 3 more tomorrow), 1 black molly, 1 female GBR (getting it a male tomorrow) and 2 corydoras.

Orion5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tea-colored water is also what they are used to in the wild (at least the neons and the angels, that's for sure.) Personally I like it as well.

The carbon would only need to be in the filter for 24 hours to take out the color if it works-- would that be enough time to change the pH? I'm not sure... but I bet it's worth a try. There are also other products you could use to adjust the pH, but if you're like me you prefer the more natural way of using peat. Apparently in Germany some years ago they would also use dried alder berries for the same reason. At least it's more of a renewable resource.

Let us know how it goes if you do. I'm interested.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I use Peat Pellets and Activated Carbon around the clock in both of my tanks with no issues. However, the Activated Carbon will not remove all of the tea coloring from the water but it does help to keep the water crystal clear.

I think the peat is great for the tank, the fish and live plants.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom