55 Gallon Tank Using an underwater pump to help with water changes

Utar
I have for the longest time been using the python for water changes. I don't like wasting water so after the siphon starts with running water from the facet, I would turn off the water. The python keeps draining water out but it is very slow.

So here recently I bought this little underwater pump from Amazon > pump
This little pump works great, it really cuts down on the water changing time. I have only used it three times now, but I like it. Just hope it holds up but only time will tell.

Islandvic
Yep, I do same thing draining with a pump. I have a long run of vinyl hose that allows us to water some plants outside.

I've never used a python before, but using water to create suction to drain a tank is counterintuitive when a simple pump does a better job. Lot of waste it seems.

Using the pump, I can use the water draining from hose to rinse filter media onto the plants. Extra fertilizer!

FLfishGal
Utar said:
So here recently I bought this little underwater pump from Amazon > pump
This little pump works great, it really cuts down on the water changing time. I have only used it three times now, but I like it. Just hope it holds up but only time will tell.
How is the pump holding up? Can you tell me specifically how you use it to do your water changes? I currently carry buckets from the sink and want to speed up the process.

John58ford
I also have some pumps for draining water. I have a large one dedicated to refills too. Welcome to the pump club!

aquachris
I do similar with my 210. It's a lot of water to change and really helps cut down the time.

FLfishGal
How do you use the pumps for refills?

faydout
I stick the pump in the tank to pull the water out, with the other end going into a bucket(s). Then for the refill, I carry my buckets to the tank, and stick the pump in those buckets with the outflow going in the tank. At some point, I'll buy a chonkier pump and the 50 ft of hosing that I need so that the push and pull of water is coming from the shower that I'm using to fill (clean) and dump (dirty) buckets, and I won't need to carry them at all anymore.

FLfishGal
Thank you! That’s very helpful.

aquachris
FLfishGal said:
How do you use the pumps for refills?
I don't use one for that I use regular python

Flyfisha
When using a pump on multiple tanks I have found the addition of a 20mm tap very helpful. Being able to turn the tap off but leave the pump running safes a little time but safes the possibly of a back siphon.

Top Bottom