Using a single plant species in an aquarium?

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Here's an odd question...can an attractive aquascape be had with only a single species of plant?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see why not if it's done right. I only matters if you like it or not! ;)

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AwesomeAlpaca said:
Definitely!! I really like this one... I do think it’s better with different species, I’m getting 2 more next week!!
I think its perfect with just the cardinals! :happy:

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes! Some nice island scapes can be achieved with just hardscape surrounding a large sword plant

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have seen some cool setups using only Vallisneria. Just one big Val jungle, good height and lots for the fish to swim around.

The_fishy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Joshaeus said:
Here's an odd question...can an attractive aquascape be had with only a single species of plant?
Yes! Especially when it is combined with an interesting hardscape. Some species can also grow different depending on how you care for them (ex. cutting large leaves to keep some plants small, changing lighting intensity in different parts of the tank to get rounder vs oblong leaves or more or less growth compaction, or even patting down a delicate plant to get more of a carpet and less of a scraggly vine).

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes! Especially if the species in question is very versatile/has multiple subspecies. Anubias, java fern, and mosses all have interesting subspecies that can add contrast with one another. Other plants can be trimmed to take on different shapes, or situated on hardscape of varying elevation to create depth as @AwesomeAlpaca's photo shows.

is a photo of an Anubias-only aquascape.

New Threads