Using A Sideboard As A Aquarium Stand??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Goldfishgirlgirl, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Goldfishgirlgirl

Goldfishgirlgirl Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone let me begin by saying I'm totally new in owning a fish !! i plan to use my newly purchased sideboard fir the aquarium I will buy . I know I should get a aquarium stand but I really hate the designs

Could u pls advise what kind of tank u should get and if I can add support to the dresser?? Preferably I want a couple baby goldfish . I can get big tanks but I'm worry about the sideboard is not strong enough ..

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  2. Ken Ooi

Ken Ooi Valued Member Member

Please post a picture of what you wish to mount your aquarium on. We understand you call it a side board, but half us men folk won't know what it is.

3. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't bat an eye at a 20 gallon based on the photo, but without knowing how it is put together and looking at it in person.... It appears (according to the description) to be made (at least partially) with real wood so it may be strong enough for something as big as a 40 but personally I'd be very, very cautious. The design wouldn't allow you to reinforce it properly without removing the top entirely, and with the weight on top you may experience some bowing downward which could cause issues with proper door closure.

I also sincerely don't like all the commonly available stands and after several months of hunting around for a stand for my 55 build I discovered R&J Enterprises, they have some very nice stands, made from solid woods and without any press board. They are a very high quality and I am very pleased with mine. Here's a link to their website. You'll have to poke around a bit to get their vendor list.

4. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

Thank you ! I'm also attaching the pic of the The inside Of the sideboard ( designed for dining area)
    If I customize a tank reaching the length of the sideboard , would it work better ?? Or I will just get a small sized tank ( 20g) and put in the middle on top of the sideboard ? I know I need bigger tank for goldfish though

Attached Files:

5. sfsamm

Honestly that looks significantly more sturdy than I'd imagined. You might (I will not say for sure) get away with something larger. It honestly looks better built than many aquarium stands and I personally might give it a go....

When thinking of things to use for aquarium I think of it this way. Every 10 gallons (including substrate and decor) weighs approximately 100 lbs. Example : If I want to put a 55 gallon aquarium on something I look at it and think alright would I trust this to allow 3-4 larger men sitting on it without breaking? That piece you are looking at looks, in my world at the least, like it would be given that consideration. The decision ultimately is yours.

That said the consequences of a catastrophic failure are fairly severe. Dead fish, flooded living space and probably a really really huge disastrous mess to boot.

6. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

I agree with @sfsamm, that table looks very substantial.

My only suggestion is that you get a piece of glass made to put on top of it (if your tank is smaller than the top). I would hate to see you have water damage on your new $1000 table.

7. sfsamm

Having glass cut is a great idea, and just getting plate glass is fairly inexpensive. You can get little felt rounds and super glue them about every 18 inches and the corners at any craft store for a couple dollars too. (a drip can get under glass but the felt will lift it just enough to poke a paper towel under and soak it up)

8. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

U meant o put a rectangle glass plate on top of the sideboard ? The weight of the tank won't break the glass plate ? Sorry I'm no handy at all . Pls explain why I need this glass plate ?

9. r

rubysword Valued Member Member

To prevent water getting under the tank and causing a lot of water damage.

10. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

You need something water resistant between the tank and the table so you don't ruin it's finish. Wood and water do not get along. The most aesthetically pleasing thing that I can think of to do this with your chosen table would be a piece of glass. If done right you will not have to worry about damaging a glass plate. If you were still worried you could use Lexan, Plexiglas, or acrylic but both of those materials scratch more easily.

11. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

Thank you everyone . The thot of putting a glass in late on top of this beautiful sideboard seems not looking so appearling to me tho :(

Bnissan- this sideboard costed 500$ as it's a floor model - good deal lol

12. DeltaDawn37

DeltaDawn37 New Member Member

The only thing I would be worried about with that sideboard is that the legs are only on the sides, and there is no support in the middle, which could lead to bowing. But if it feels sturdy and the wood is thick, it would probably work

13. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

It would work for a smaller tank for sure. But it will probably ruin the stand. Just picture water droplets running down the sides and you're good. Even with glass I've never seen a stand not get wet.

I just built a 55gallon/20galon under combo.

Was $30

14. Yves

Yves Valued Member Member

Instead of glass I used a black rubber mat, was much cheaper option. I looks fine for 30 gallon and below, however I would re-enforce the middle for 50gallon and above, you need to cut some blocks and place underneath the center to prevent bowing.

BTW from the name you used GoldfishGirl, I gather you like goldfish, what size tank are you planning to get and what stocking do you have in mind, we may be able to help you avoid some problems.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

Thank you Yves. I'm still shopping for the tank . I would love to get a 50g tank but I'm just worried about the support of the sideboard I have right now .

You are right that I plan to buy goldfish . I'm thinking to get 3 fancy baby fish and probably add a couple shrimps ?? I don't plan to put too many stockings in the tank as I'm just so worried about the weight . Plus I want my goldfish to have more room to swim . I went to a local aquarium store and staff there don't recommend the sideboard especially there are only 4 legs supporting the whole sideboard plus the tank

In fact, u may not see it in the pic that I posted , At the bottom of the sideboard , it does have an extra leg supporting the centre

How do I reinforce the middle ? I have no clue :(

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  16. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

Hmm you can get small cabinet legs from Amazon. Problem is they require you to drill a whole then attach with a washer and nut. So you will see all the hardware when you open it.

I'd just get a real fish cabinet. 50g weighs close to 500lbs fully stocked with water & sand.

That's why you don't see a lot of aquarium cabnets on legs. It's doesn't spread the weight around.

17. DeltaDawn37

DeltaDawn37 New Member Member

Actually, can you remove the legs from the sideboard to have the whole base be weightbearing? That might be easier than adding supports

18. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I'm with @sfsamm - 20 gallon, probably. Anything larger? I'm not sure. I did notice from the picture that everything seems to be butt jointed instead of mitered, which doesn't exactly scream strength. And as others have said, aquariums mean spilled water, and water and wood don't mix. You could try an acrylic or glass top as others have suggested, and a real furniture wax on the finish (not just a 'polish',) but honestly, I think I'd look at actual aquarium stands.

19. OP
    OP
    Goldfishgirlgirl

I cannot remove the legs, unfortunately :( I wish I could though ...

20. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

I would just get an actual aquarium stand. The tank size that would work with the sideboard wouldn't be big enough to house goldfish. Unless you're not set on goldfish and are open to stocking other fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice