Using a plastic container for my betta?

hollysoo

Betta in a plastic jar?

HI guys! So, I got a betta fish today...well actually I got two, one for my classroom and the other for my tank at home. The one I put in my classroom is doing great. The tank I have at home is a community tank with various types of tetras and a pleco. The last time I had a betta, upon bringing home he swam around and got to know his new environment and hey did quite well and was good with the other fish.
Upon bring this betta home today, I put him in while still in the bag to acclimate with the tank temp and for the fish to see each other. I had to step out for a out 1.5hrs I then opened the bag, added a bit of my h20 and then let him loose. He hasn't done anything but sit in the corner.
I guess my first question is...what is your opinion about this?

Next question, I'm worried he is stressed out in the tank so I was hoping I had a big enough mason jar to have him in until I get a a actual tank. Unfortunately I didn't have a big enough mason jar. But I do have this plastic craft jar that is holding rocks and plastic easter eggs. Is it okay to use this since it's plastic? If so, is it okay to use it even though I and using it for a storage container? I guess if I bleach it out 1pt bleach to 10pts water it would be okay?

Any answers to help me figure this out would be GREAT! I don't want to stress my fish.

I've included some pics for assistance.

hollysoo

HI guys! So, I got a Betta fish today...well actually I got two, one for my classroom and the other for my tank at home. The one I put in my classroom is doing great. The tank I have at home is a community tank with various types of tetras and a pleco. The last time I had a betta, upon bringing home he swam around and got to know his new environment and hey did quite well and was good with the other fish.
Upon bring this betta home today, I put him in while still in the bag to acclimate with the tank temp and for the fish to see each other. I had to step out for a out 1.5hrs I then opened the bag, added a bit of my h20 and then let him loose. He hasn't done anything but sit in the corner.
I guess my first question is...what is your opinion about this?

Next question, I'm worried he is stressed out in the tank so I was hoping I had a big enough mason jar to have him in until I get a a actual tank. Unfortunately I didn't have a big enough mason jar. But I do have this plastic craft jar that is holding rocks and plastic easter eggs. Is it okay to use this since it's plastic? If so, is it okay to use it even though I and using it for a storage container? I guess if I bleach it out 1pt bleach to 10pts water it would be okay?

Any answers to help me figure this out would be GREAT! I don't want to stress my fish.

I've included some pics for assistance. (In the 3rd pic doesn't it look like he is leaning a bit? Or am I paranoid?)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1455766963635.jpg
    1455766963635.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 1455767033117.jpg
    1455767033117.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 1455767066183.jpg
    1455767066183.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 1455767086072.jpg
    1455767086072.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 206

hollysoo

Would it help to also see my tank as a whole?

I was asking for opinions about my new betta and first whether he looks healthy or stressed. And my second question since I'm worried he's not doing well in my tank...I want to put him in this plastic craft container until I get a glass bowl for him tomorrow. Is it okay to use the plastic container?
I thought maybe a pic of my tank a while would be helpful and forgot. So here it is...first from the front and then from the side, in this pic my betta is in the top right corner.

And some pics of my fish incase you don't read my previous post.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions in advance!

Attachments

• 1455767552845.jpg
    1455767552845.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 1455767662904.jpg
    1455767662904.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 1455767676676.jpg
    1455767676676.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 1455767694326.jpg
    1455767694326.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 136

thepianoguy

Well Known
yes, that might just due to stress fish do this sometimes so no worries for the first few weeks, I would not put him in the jar since it will stress him more. If you can buy some Indian Almond Leaves(or collect them) as they REALLY HELP the stress! Hope this helps!

BTW I have one betta in my home room, outlook not so good!

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
He doesn't look overly happy to me, but looks like maybe you just got him? Out of curiosity, what do you mean by a betta bowl? Ideally they need a heated, filtered aquarium. I don't think I'd do the plastic since I don't know if it may have anything harmful in it. Do you maybe have a breeder box you could keep him in overnight?

Bettas and community fish, from what I know, all depends on the individual fish...

thepianoguy

Well Known
she's stressed, don't worry too much though maybe a bit shocked, what are your water parameter?

I would not move her to the plastic bin, no that will stress it more, do you see horizontal lines crossing the eyes?

just clean water, warm temp, that works after all!

hollysoo

Thanks so much for your reply! I will leave (him? You called him a her?) in the tank. The water temp is 28-29 C or 80 F. PH level is between a 6.8 and 7.0. I think these levels are alight. Maybe the watt temp is a tad on the high side but it's been that temp forever now and the other fish seem fine. Thoughts? Thanks again!

Attachments

• 1455773465363.jpg
    1455773465363.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 1455773480778.jpg
    1455773480778.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 145

thepianoguy

Well Known
sorry was speed reading, lol okay he might do fine in the tank, depends on your water parameter

those ph are not what am I talking about(pretty useless as fish will adapt your ph level)

I need

ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:

what kind of filter are you using?

hollysoo

Can't tell you those numbers. That's actually not something I've ever looked into. I've always thought to get one next time I'm out and always forget. I've never really felt a need to investigate, since my fish seem to be healthy and happy. Thanks for the reminder though, I'm a more inclined to get it now plus it'd be good to know should my tank become "sick".

hollysoo

As for the filter. It's an aqueon

thepianoguy

Well Known
I like... wait, what your fish tank size?

hollysoo

13 gallons

thepianoguy

Well Known
okay, but we are unable to know if your tank is safe for fish or not if you don't tell us additional infos about the

ammonia
nitrite
nitrate

thanks, we just need that info then we will know what to do.

Megg01

Well Known
I noticed that you have a pleco in there. What type is it, and how large? The commons get huge and have a large bioload, so you could have high ammonia from that. Really hard to say without test results on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates as thepianoguy has said.

Rivieraneo

Fishlore VIP
Threads merged. Please use only this thread so not to confuse members. Thanks.

hollysoo

I will go tomorrow and get a kit for it and reach out again! I really like this fish. In the mean time I'll keep my eye on him.

lovesLC

Whenever I add fish to the tank they normally hide or lie still or don't eat for a couple of days. It is stressful going to a new home!
I think he should be fine.
But just for your own peace of mind it is good to have a water test kit handy.

thepianoguy

Well Known
I believe the op is going to buy one tomorrow, that wait n see.

it is normal when the fish are stressed(but I am lucky enough to have fish that not stressed!)

woahh, just one thing forgot to mention @, please buy apI master liquid test kit! don't use test strips, they are terrific at telling the lie...!

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
You may want to consider lowering the temp a little bit slowly depending on what else you have in the tank. That reading looks like 84 to me.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Wolf65

Got the same problem. My betta just hangs on a top corner of the tank. My levels are all 0 with a bit nitrates but my PH is 8
I know bettas want lower PH but would my PH actually harm him?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

thepianoguy

Well Known
any fish (hardy of course) can adapt PH levels it will takes some time.where do you live? the water is hard? ask the pet store ph level of their water? and water parameter?

fishnewbie33

Well Known
To acclimate a fish, you need to slowly get the fish adapted to the tank parameters (provided they are not too far off).

https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm

Test the bag/cup water and the tank water to evaluate the parameters of each. This will give you a baseline and an indication of how long (or even if you can) acclimate the fish (i.e. if the pH is too high/low for the new fish, etc.)

As previously mentioned, the betta would be more at home in a 5 gallon tank with heater and filter. Bettas are not usually community fish and are ok in a solitary tank. Make sure all decorations (including plants) have no sharp edges that can tear the beta's fins.

thepianoguy

Well Known
If you ask the pet store they will usually tell you the water parameter, if they do not know, then you know... might not be the best idea to buy fish in that LFS!

hollysoo

HI guys, so Blue Ocean, as my brother has named my fish seems to be doing much better today. Although he still hangs out at the top of the tank, he's come out from hiding a lot and will hang out at the front of the tank. Today I also saw him swimming back up from the bottom of the tank. thepianoguy I wasn't able to get out today for the test kit and I'm glad I didn't or I would have gotten the test strips. I've got a ride to the store tomorrow and I'll get the apI master liquid test kit. Megg01 Not sure exactly the kind of pleco I have. I got him from my landlord when he was a baby. Before getting him though I super stressed to him that I can't take him if he's one that will get big. My brother has one and he's HUGE! I was reassured that the pleco in his tank don't grow too big. So far I've had him for about a year and he's grown to maybe the length of my pinky.
I will share the parameter readings tomorrow evening after work. Bithimala no, it's about 28 Celsius. What is a healthy temp? My fish so far seem to be fine with the water they're in. But it's a good thing to know. I've had this tank for a few months. The fish, about 6 of them are from when I first set a tank up around 4 yrs ago. I ended up down sizing into the tank I have now. I gave my brother some fish and sold the old tank.
Also, last night when I turned my tank light out I noticed that as soon as I did the other fish I have that usually hang out midway to the bottom all swam up to the top half of the tank, then when I turned the light back on they immediately went back to the bottom, when I did it again same thing. (Once I turned the light out the room was dark except for the light from the TV) I thought maybe it was because I had just fed them and there was still some food at the top. So tonight before turning the light off for the night I made sure to feed them before so there was no food. They did the same thing, all swam up to the top half of the tank. Some looked like they were settling in and going to sleep. They swam to the top half and then just stayed in the same spot. I don't think this is anything wrong, I just thought it was interesting behaviour I've never noticed before. Any ideas as to what they at doing?

thepianoguy

Well Known
uh one way to unsure your fish's health without test kit is daily water change.
I believe what kind of pleco you have it must be large(chinese algae eater or common pleco) which both could grew very large(13 inches) and require way bigger tank than just tiny little 13 gallon! Like 30 and up at least.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AZrodeo92
Replies
Views
Rancore
Replies
Views
Giul
Replies
Views
saalice729
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi

Did You Know...

Vishaquatics has a nice write-up on how to get your plants to turn red or more colorful:
Guide To Getting Plants To Turn Red Or More Colorful

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom