Using a freshwater api kit for saltwater

Chad8282

Member
So I’m told only ammonia and nitrate would be different but I could use it to get an idea of ph so there’s ph and high ph which should I use high ph right?
 

RayClem

Member
The color charts for the saltwater kit differs from that for the freshwater for some of the tests. If you search for API saltwater color charts, you should come up with photos of the color charts so you can see how it compares to the freshwater colors. I think the test reagents are the same.

Saltwater aquariums should normally be kept at 8.2-8.4 pH, so you would need the high range chart.
 
  • Thread Starter

Chad8282

Member
I
RayClem said:
The color charts for the saltwater kit differs from that for the freshwater for some of the tests. If you search for API saltwater color charts, you should come up with photos of the color charts so you can see how it compares to the freshwater colors. I think the test reagents are the same.

Saltwater aquariums should normally be kept at 8.2-8.4 pH, so you would need the high range chart.
just did and got 8.2-8.4 my tank had just been started 3 days ago with rodi water and I put 2 clown fish in last night. What other parameters should I look at? Nitrate and nitrite?
 

RayClem

Member
Chad8282 said:
I

just did and got 8.2-8.4 my tank had just been started 3 days ago with rodi water and I put 2 clown fish in last night. What other parameters should I look at? Nitrate and nitrite?
It is just as important to cycle a saltwater aquarium as it is with freshwater. It will take a lot longer than three days to cycle the tank. It takes several weeks. You need to be checking ammonia and nitrite on a new tank to make sure you do not build up enough to kill your clownfish.

Are you using any bacterial starters (even substrate or media from another tank)?

If the ammonia or nitrite levels get about 1 ppm, you can treat the tank with Seachem Prime to detoxify it. At high pH levels like those in a saltwater tank, ammonia is highly toxic. Thus, you need to test ammonia daily until the tank is cycled.

If you are keeping a fish only tank, then you do not need to worry about phosphate and calcium concentrations, but you do need to monitor them if you want corals, anemones, etc.

I no longer keep saltwater tanks, but I did keep saltwater tanks, including reef systems for about 15 years.
 
  • Thread Starter

Chad8282

Member
RayClem said:
It is just as important to cycle a saltwater aquarium as it is with freshwater. It will take a lot longer than three days to cycle the tank. It takes several weeks. You need to be checking ammonia and nitrite on a new tank to make sure you do not build up enough to kill your clownfish.

Are you using any bacterial starters (even substrate or media from another tank)?

If the ammonia or nitrite levels get about 1 ppm, you can treat the tank with Seachem Prime to detoxify it. At high pH levels like those in a saltwater tank, ammonia is highly toxic. Thus, you need to test ammonia daily until the tank is cycled.

If you are keeping a fish only tank, then you do not need to worry about phosphate and calcium concentrations, but you do need to monitor them if you want corals, anemones, etc.

I no longer keep saltwater tanks, but I did keep saltwater tanks, including reef systems for about 15 years.
 

RayClem

Member
API Quick Start does say it contains nitrifying bacteria, so that will help get the nitrogen cycle going. However, they state that it will allow the "instant addition of fish" which is a stretch. Also the nitrifying bacteria in freshwater are not the same as those in saltwater, so I am not sure how the claim one product is good for both.
Don't get me wrong, Quick Start will help, but it will not instantly cycle and aquarium. Nothing can do that. It takes time for the bacterial colonies to grow.

Instant Ocean Marine Conditioner is designed to remove chlorine, break the chloramine bond if used in your tap water and remove any heavy metals. Since you are using RO/DI water as the basis for producing your artificial seawater, your water does not contain chlorine, chloramine or heavy metals. All of those things are removed by the RO/DI unit.

The conditioner also contains polymers to help protect the slime coating on the fish. That may be helpful. If you have a skimmer on your tank, sometimes polymer products can lead to skimmer overflow. If you are not using a skimmer, you might get a film on the surface, so be careful not to overdose.

Marine Conditioner does not contain any chemicals that will help with the detoxification of ammonia. Seachem Prime can be used in both freshwater and saltwater for that purpose if needed.

By the way, clown fish can be highly territorial. They like an anemone or coral or even a decoration they can claim as their own. I hope the tank is large enough to provide separate territories for the two fish. Normally, the do not stray far from their chosen home.
 
  • Thread Starter

Chad8282

Member
RayClem said:
API Quick Start does say it contains nitrifying bacteria, so that will help get the nitrogen cycle going. However, they state that it will allow the "instant addition of fish" which is a stretch. Also the nitrifying bacteria in freshwater are not the same as those in saltwater, so I am not sure how the claim one product is good for both.
Don't get me wrong, Quick Start will help, but it will not instantly cycle and aquarium. Nothing can do that. It takes time for the bacterial colonies to grow.

Instant Ocean Marine Conditioner is designed to remove chlorine, break the chloramine bond if used in your tap water and remove any heavy metals. Since you are using RO/DI water as the basis for producing your artificial seawater, your water does not contain chlorine, chloramine or heavy metals. All of those things are removed by the RO/DI unit.

The conditioner also contains polymers to help protect the slime coating on the fish. That may be helpful. If you have a skimmer on your tank, sometimes polymer products can lead to skimmer overflow. If you are not using a skimmer, you might get a film on the surface, so be careful not to overdose.

Marine Conditioner does not contain any chemicals that will help with the detoxification of ammonia. Seachem Prime can be used in both freshwater and saltwater for that purpose if needed.

By the way, clown fish can be highly territorial. They like an anemone or coral or even a decoration they can claim as their own. I hope the tank is large enough to provide separate territories for the two fish. Normally, the do not stray far from their chosen home.
Ok good to know I am watching all of my levels closely now and they have both made their own nest under the heaters and seem to be doing great
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom