Using 2 Filters May Be Causing A Problem? Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Lakemontfishlover, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Lakemontfishlover

Lakemontfishlover Valued Member Member

I have a ten gallon tank that has been cycled for months. I am using a whisper filter. Recently I had to change the filter pad because it just fell apart when I pulled it up to check it. I have been trying to just rinse it in aquarium water and replace. Well I bought an Aqua Clear Fluval Filter for th 10 gal and set it up next to the whisper filter to let it run and gather bacteria, well checked my parameters today and I have a slight Nitrite problem. I changed 10% of water, vacuumed, added, safe start and easy balance plus. I took out the Fluval filter for now. Any advice for me?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Frozen One

Frozen One Valued Member Member

I think you should add more live plants to your aquarium and keep the aquaclear filter running. Changing 10% of the water will at best remove 10% of the nitrates so a water change isn’t really the most effective way of removing nitrates. Especially if you have nitrates in your local water. Again, I would recommend adding more Live Plants and that will be the absolute best way to remove nitrates. Definitely the best option since you’re in the process of upgrading filters.

3. OP
    OP
    Lakemontfishlover

Im sorry, I had to correct my thread, it’s a Nitrite problem, I said Nitrate at first.

4. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

Keep the aqua clear running ... and get one of these ...

Go for the fastest shipping - it should be a good time of year for shipping these (not too hot / cold).

Will eliminate your problem, pretty much immediately.

I've never had a problem with parasites using one of these, the company takes care to make sure they're parasite free. But - I would still treat the tank as a prophylaxis.

5. OP
    OP
    Lakemontfishlover

Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice