Using 1/8" Thick Glass (or Acrylic) For A Tank Under A Gallon?

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Lorekeeper, Apr 22, 2018.

1. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

I have a few pieces of both acrylic and glass laying in my closet from a school project a few years ago. I was wondering if either would be suitable for a small cube (I have enough for a 4" cube in glass, or 6" in acrylic). I know that the usual recommended minimum thickness is 1/4", but since we're talking around a gallon of water, I'm not sure that that'd be required.

I'm pretty much looking to fill a spot on my new desk. I have a 3 gallon jar I could use, but I'm not big on round tanks, and it's a bit bigger than what I'm looking for.

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I think the 1/4" is preferred to span the longer tank dimensions so it doesny bow. Being only 4" or 6" it should be fine albut fragile.

3. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Alright, thanks!

4. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Consider also making a eurobrace at the top of the acrylic to add support.

5. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Not sure I'd use acrylic, as the glass seems to be in slightly better shape.

Why would I need a eurobrace on such a small tank, anyway? The cube would theoretically beholding less than a gallon, so lets say 0.75 gallons of live weight. Would a brace really help distribute that on such a small cube?

6. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Acrylic isnt as robust as glass, and it could still bow quite a bit IMO. Better safe than sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice