Used Tank Worth it?

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Been seriously considering buying a used tank from the lfs. Already checked that there were no leaks. The tank is a combo, with a 37 gallon, a new steel stand, heater, marineland filter, led light, and lid all at the tune of $250.

Does this seem like a good deal? Most brand new 30-40 gallons plus a stand alone rack up $200-300 from what I've seen, not even starting on the extras.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on your financial situation. It boils down to Cost or Convenience.

If I had the money for all new stuff I would buy new stuff for peace of mind, but if money was tight and I could get what I couldn't normally afford I'd go for the deal.

If the equipment is a good deal then it could be well worth a punt as individual components such as the glass tank can be replaced if it were really necessary.

The offer is just that, an offer. If its worth less to you offer less. It would be worth knowing if there any guarantees remaining on the goods and how old the components are too.

If you are looking for such a deal can you get a better one elsewhere? I think if I did I'd be doing some browsing around rather than reacting to the first offer I saw which may not be as good a deal as others available elsewhere.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nope no where even close to be worth it 2nd hand.

The only thing that might be worth anything other then the tank might be the lights but that depends on what they are. The filter and heater arent worth paying a cent for and the steel stand doesnt seem like its worth much at all.

New tanks can be picked up for a dollar a gallon on sale so thats only $37. So id probably wouldnt go over $50 for it if everything is in perfect working condition without knowing more about the light

idk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The replies you have received already are quite good. I wouldn't simply because you can find WAY better deals if you wait it out a bit. Was looking at 2nd hand tanks for a few weeks maybe around a month until I found a great deal on something I really liked. ended up with a 7ft, stand, fluval fx6 canister, a few lights, an api test kit and other accessories for $200 aud. Unless you really REALLY love that 37 gallon, I would wait until a better deal comes around ;)

BlackOsprey

Well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing though, dollar per gallon sales are limited up to 29 gallons, and I don't want something as large as 60g yet. Are there sales for 40 gallons?

Dart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm getting the Marineland 60 gallon for Black Friday as well from PetSmart. I figured it out and it's way more cost effective to go that route vs. the 36 I was looking at. I really didn't want one that big either, but honestly you can't go wrong with a bigger tank...they're easier to keep stable and you can keep more fish! For me, I wanted to avoid canister filters because I find them to be a PITA, so I just plan on doing 2 HOB ones at the most, and stocking as my finances allow.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rcslade124 said:
50% off so 40g are 49$ 55 are like 60$ and 75 are 99
Hey
Yes, those specials are for Black Friday only. What about the folks buying next month In December 19? And I even though I do go Black Friday shopping almost every year, not Everyone isn’t going to wait or go shopping on Black Friday only. 4]

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom