Used tank water quality - please help I'm new

BestBetterBetta

Reaction score
I bought a used tank and filter that had established plants as I heard it would speed up the cycle. However the tank looks so yucky and muddy even with my filter on. I'm scared she will die if I add her, any suggestions

Attachments

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
Most likely it’s because you moved everything and stirred up some junk in the bottom of the substrate. Run the filters with some fine filter material and it will clear up.

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are your ammonia nitrite and nitrate readings? Do you have a test kit? (not strips)
Also, I would do a water change to remove some of that brown gunk.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The visual of the water doesn't mean its good or bad. Natural bodies of water get really muddy when it rains. The stuff that effects your fish you have to test for. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

OP
B

BestBetterBetta

Reaction score
bogmummy said:
What are your ammonia nitrite and nitrate readings? Do you have a test kit? (not strips)
Also, I would do a water change to remove some of that brown gunk.
I bought this today, I wanted the masters kit but they are sold out due to the virus, just trying to learn how to use it, I'm on day 2 of adding stability so I'm not sure if I should wait for the 7 days or try now

david1978 said:
The visual of the water doesn't mean its good or bad. Natural bodies of water get really muddy when it rains. The stuff that effects your fish you have to test for. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
Very true thank you

Attachments

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BestBetterBetta said:
I bought this today, I wanted the masters kit but they are sold out due to the virus, just trying to learn how to use it, I'm on day 2 of adding stability so I'm not sure if I should wait for the 7 days or try now

Very true thank you
use the ammonia test asap.

New Threads