Used marine aquarium for freshwater

1. jogeorge Initiate Member

Hello all!

I'm a beginner at fishkeeping and have found a great deal on a 30 gallon marine aquarium. Now im wondering if its ok to use it for freshwater fish.

Thanks

J

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

As long as yourinse the tank well, and it should be fine, we have bought a couple used tanks that where saltwater and switched them to freshwater.

3. jogeorge Initiate Member

Great, I thought the same

Thanks

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You may also try distilled white vinegar to give it a good scrubbing if you can get it clean with warm water alone :)

5. CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

2 out of the 3 tanks i have where SW i just cleaned it with vinegar like Akari said. And just rinse it very well

6. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I have tanks that have housed everything from bugs to snakes to saltwater fish before and have never had a problem. As long as you give the tank a good cleaning using a bleach solution of one part bleach to 10 parts water the tank should be safe no matter what type of animal was kept in it before. Once I have cleaned a tank up to my satisfaction I rinse it real good with freshwater and I personally fill it to the top and give it a double dose of Prime to remove any left over chlorine bleach. Sometimes a good soaking in a vinegar water solution is needed to help remove mineral build ups and if the tank is glass a single sided razor blade can be very helpful in removing the build up but I don’t recommend using a razor blade on an acrylic tank because they are easily scratched.