Used marine aquarium for freshwater

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jogeorge, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jogeorgeNew MemberMember

Hello all!

I'm a beginner at fishkeeping and have found a great deal on a 30 gallon marine aquarium. Now im wondering if its ok to use it for freshwater fish.

Thanks

J

2. Lexi03Well Known MemberMember

As long as yourinse the tank well, and it should be fine, we have bought a couple used tanks that where saltwater and switched them to freshwater.

3. OP
    OP
    j

jogeorgeNew MemberMember

Great, I thought the same

Thanks

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

You may also try distilled white vinegar to give it a good scrubbing if you can get it clean with warm water alone :)

5. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGAWell Known MemberMember

2 out of the 3 tanks i have where SW i just cleaned it with vinegar like Akari said. And just rinse it very well

6. bowcrazyWell Known MemberMember

I have tanks that have housed everything from bugs to snakes to saltwater fish before and have never had a problem. As long as you give the tank a good cleaning using a bleach solution of one part bleach to 10 parts water the tank should be safe no matter what type of animal was kept in it before. Once I have cleaned a tank up to my satisfaction I rinse it real good with freshwater and I personally fill it to the top and give it a double dose of Prime to remove any left over chlorine bleach. Sometimes a good soaking in a vinegar water solution is needed to help remove mineral build ups and if the tank is glass a single sided razor blade can be very helpful in removing the build up but I don’t recommend using a razor blade on an acrylic tank because they are easily scratched.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice