Used Fish tank/ Final Thoughts...

1. Nitemelodies

Nitemelodies Valued Member Member

Hi everyone^^

So I am buying this used fish tank.... 00Z0Z_262QQD6st6H_600x450.jpg
    I found it on Craigslist for 30$ has a light fixture is 20 gallons,dimensions are 12d x 24w x 17t, has the hood and lights! I think its a decent price considering has hood and lights! What do you think? The owner said his fish grew too fast so he didnt use it much! Do you think its a good idea/price? Im not buying it till thursday.

Its not the 20 Gallon long I was thinking of... So will it be a problem for what I want to put in it, since its not a long tank?

6x panda cory

5x neon tetra
    1x dwarf gourami
    6x silvertip

Someone told me that I should get an Aquaclear 30 or 50 for the tank which one is better? are they noisy? I think I read you have to prime it.... no idea what that means....

Ill need to get a heater too...

So I plan to make this a Planted tank... So my set up plan is...

1) get Tank and use sand substrate.... It will be unused sand and old sand haha (though do I have to wash the sand if I will but sand from my other tank?)

2) Put in the filter, then some plants maybe drift wood rocks, for my tank.... I think I read panda cories need hiding spots...

3) Since I will be getting low lighting plants, Im not sure if my tank hood will need better ones... but i was just gonna rn the tank with the filter for awhile... Let the plants grow...

4) Im not sure If I will cycle with a fish, though if im just gonna let plants grow for awhile... I guess I might as well cycle it. Can plants go through a cycle?

5) Pleakley, my green glofish is still alive.... Maybe I could cycle with him? though I heard DG is pretty good to cycle with....

5b) I have a product by microbe lift. heres a link http://www.petco.com/product/111520...er-Conditioning-Kit.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch Can i cycle fishless with this stuff? or should i cycle with a fish... I dont know! ah....

Am I missing anything? what else might I need? Will the fish like a bubble wand or maybe a power head?

Sorry for all the questions! Thank you^^

2. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

A new 20g with hood that looks similar at Petsmart is $48 on sale right now with a petperks card. And more $ at regular price. Just for comparison.

3. b

bowen747x Valued Member Member

I would make sure to find out what the wattage is on the light, and the specific type of bulbs it holds, so you know if its enough for plants or not. if its under 20 watts you might need a better light, if its 20 or above then its definitely worth $30 ...and make sure it doesn't leak obviously and also check for scratches

im no expert but I think 18 fish might be a lot for a 20g. you will definitely want a powerful filter if you want to max out your stocking options.

if you can find a good price on a bigger tank I would keep looking imo (easier to maintain water and more stocking options) but if you want a 20g then go for it! I got my 55g for $60 bran new and it came with filter/heater/lights(which I upgraded of course) and other accessories too! petco was having a huge sale earlier this spring, depends on your patience, just keep your eyes open. anyway... good luck!

4. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Were it me, I would go with the AquaClear 50. Mine is not noisy and I really do not have to prime it per se, but you do need to make sure the filter is full of water before turning the filer on or else it will not be able to draw water up the tube and into the filter box. But I will say the AquaClears are in my opinion the best HOB filters

Also, I believe that cories need a 20 long as a minimum tank size.

6. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

One warning on the aquaclear filters. If they lose power the water inside of them will be sucked out. So however long they go without power is how long your media is out of water and hello new cycle. These AQ are def worth every penny. Just figured i'd share the one downside I found.