Used Aqua Clear, don't know what's best.

1. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

We got a used tank and stand at a great price, everything included for their SW setup. We want to use it for FW. At my best guess we have an Aqua Clear Fluval 70, the tank is a bowfront that seems to be 26gal (the previous owners couldn't remember). This thing is honking huge but if it'll do the job and I don't have to spend more, fantastic. Should I clean the bejeezus out of it, or just go new? Thanks.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Can't say for certain but my best guess is that if you clean it up really well and maybe let it run in a bucket of water for a while it would be fine.

All the media, I'd replace though.

I'm sure others will see this thread and respond.

Good luck!

3. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Clean it out good, get new media and filters for it, and start Cycling the tank! ;)

If it works good I wouldn't replace it! Unless you've been eying a new filter you want to try?

4. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Hello again MotoDude! I think our discussion about my betta buddy is what motivated me to at least start cleaning up what I can!

Oh, I took the media out before I even brought it in from the garage. Maybe it's the nerd in me, but that part was fun. Trying to clean this thing is not.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I would try and clean out the AC70 first before getting a new one. The impeller is super easy to get to on that filter, so I would yank it out and clean it and the shaft. Plug it in while you have it off so you can hear / see it run. Good luck!

6. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Oh yes, I remembered you! How could I forget that Beautiful betta?! Hope all is going well, and glad to see your getting it out! :)

7. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

What's the best way to clean out the plastic tubing? It really looks like they just let everything dry out. All covered in sand residue. (Husband won't touch it, haha)

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

They sell brushes for cleaning in take tubes.
    A bottle brush might work also.

9. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Thank you Lucy. Beautiful kitty!

10. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Not too sure about that, My Marineland Emperor filters came with a small brush used to clean the filter. I've always just used that.

Try to find something that looks like this (just make sure soap hasn't been used on it)

sku_193834_1.jpg

11. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Update: Got everything cleaned up just great! Thanks for all the help! Now the only problem is that the motor is too noisy!

12. dakota Member Member

I have picked up several used Aqua Clears at yard sales over the years. Several of them had not been used for a long while. As Adam55 has said the noise is usually dirt or somthing in the pump housing where the pump rotates. I found taking a bright flash light and pull the pump impellar out and look real good at the bottom and sides for anything like a piece of sand/dirt etc. Sometimes one little speck of dirt etc will cause it to squeal. If you let it run for awhile it may stop. Good luck

13. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

We cleaned everything over and over, even went through YouTube videos for suggestions. You could hear it over everything. Husband got fed up and got a new filter altogether. The only noise the new one makes is the pleasant sounds of a waterfall.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app