Used Api Proper Ph 7.0 2 Days Later Fish Died.. Water Cloudy Ph:0 Help

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Chantmiss, Apr 13, 2019.

1. ChantmissNew MemberMember

My African Cichlid of 5 years died after using Proper pH 7.0 two days later.. first day pH was fine, after I found him dead pH was 0. Cleaned tank. 70% water change. used Proper pH again, water got cloudy. PH 0. tried to add PH stayed 0. did 80% water change. pH 0. Added API liquid pH, took a LOT to get it to 7.0. Water still cloudy. Checked again next day still 7.0 added 5 small fish last night they are still doing ok so far. But water has not changed.. still white fog. I have never in 20 years had this happen before until I used that powder Proper pH. Water test shows everything perfect. Cleaned filters. Objects in water are wood with plants and castle in background.. not sure what else to do. Usually any cloud i had before cleared in a few hours. here is a pic.

56922726_10218566829466579_8107121199244378112_n.jpg56751309_10218566783465429_4780238737193828352_n.jpg

2. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

A ph of 0 is like battery acid, literally. A typo? Or are you sure your test is correct?

3. Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Hello
    Did you added proper PH to the tank directly?

4. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

I advise against adding any chemicals to alter pH. What is your tank pH without adding anything? Your fish likely died because of the swings in pH.

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

hydrochloric acid, at concentration 1 mol dm−3 has a pH of 0
    Is that even possible? And doesn't the chart only go down to 6?

6. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I would be doing water changes and lots of them until every bit of that product is back out of this tank. With the PH dropping that low your bacteria is being starved out. I am not sure I would have added more fish until this was cleaned out but it is what it is at this point.

I am curious as to why you decided to use this product after running a successful tank for 5 years.

7. ChantmissNew MemberMember

I have 6 tanks. This is the first time I used this product. I have always used liquid pH up. I had asked my son that day to stop by the store to pick up more and they were out.. he came home with this powder. I read it.. mixed it in a glass to dissolve then added to the tank. It was cloudy a bit and ph was 7.0. I thought everything was fine, then two days later my fish was dead. I tested the water and the pH reading was Clear. No blue whatsoever and water was cloudy. I did the water change again (I had cleaned it less then a week before) water was cloudy. pH reading was still clear after re-adding this powder. I used my liquid pH up to no change.. still kept reading clear, no blue. So then I did the 80% water change. This time Used the liquid pH up.. took a LOT to get it to 7.0. Water still cloudy. Did all water tests everything normal now. Added the fish before they died in the bags.. had no choice.. Checked the water again this morning and did all tests.. all read all is fine. But water cloud still the same.

8. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

It sounds like you have a handle on fish keeping and you aren't new to it. I am still curious as to why you are using PH up. Is your water overly soft? I know mine is so I have added crushed coral to keep my PH at a stable 7.2. I also keep seashells in all of my tanks. As they very slowly dissolve they too help to add a bit of hardness to my tanks.

9. Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Is ok to adjust in 5.gal jug or bucket that's why those product are for sale.. all adjustment has to be made only with water changes not directly in tank..

10. Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

No you can't mixed in glass and put it tank that's big no no is pretty much the same adding it directly ..You have to mix it in bucket in water at least 5.gal and make adjustments with water changes 24 hrs a part..

11. ChantmissNew MemberMember

Yes I have sand in this tank.. I don't think i have any shells, maybe one or two for decoration. If I do they are small.. I was thinking about that earlier and found a bag in my storage of crushed shells I did use for my other tanks. I'll add them to this tank too now. Do not have soft water. I probably don't clean them as often as I should with 6 tanks and working... not enough time.. But I love them in every room of my house.. very soothing. This one is my smallest besides my 3 gal bar tank lol. I have Cichlids in 2 tanks and crawfish in my 55 fancy guppies in my 45. This is my 20, it had the one Cichlid that was aggressive. So with an empty tank now, I just got these guys so it wasn't empty.

12. ChantmissNew MemberMember

Gotcha... first time using this stuff. I did not re-add it after the 80% change. I used the liquid. but i'm guessing its still in the tank since its still cloudy. I could not get all the water out with all the stuff in the tank but took out as much as I could. But again.. its still cloudy. I have to go to work now for 5 hours.. I'll check it again when I get home. Thank you all for helping!! <3

13. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

don't cichlids like hardwater? and high pH? have you tested GH/KH? if you pH is low you could use limestone rocks to make little caves, or crushed coral. pH stablilty is dependent on KH. if your KH is high, your pH will be stable. if your KH is low your pH will crash.

14. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like you can skip the pH altering chemicals. The fluctuations in pH are very stressful for fish- far more stressful than having a pH that isn’t exactly the “recommended” pH. Fish are pretty good at adapting, especially tank raised fish.

15. ChantmissNew MemberMember

Yes, I keep them at 7.5. I have them in two large tanks and they are doing fine. THIS tank is a 20 I put one cichlid in that was very aggressive and killed all the other fish in the past. I noticed the pH was low and thats how this all started.

16. ChantmissNew MemberMember

btw.. before I went to work tonight, I put a bit of clearwater in the tank.. a bit less then recommended.. when I got home I could see the castle. Much more clear.. maybe its starting to clear up. :)