Used 55 Gal Leak Test? Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zcpetty, Apr 19, 2018.

1. zcpetty

zcpetty Well Known Member Member

Im picking up a used 55 gallon. They used it for turtles and fish and it was emptied last week. I havent seen it since emptied. Its 2yrs old. Should i leak test? For how long. I have a 36 sitting in an apartment i need to move asap so we can close the apartment out. Their reason for selling is to get a 75 to sit in that same spot. They are swapping over this week so i can pick up. I just moved into our house so i will set it up in the garage and fill it. Will a couple hours be safe?
    IMG_1520.JPG

2. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

I'd say a few hours is probably fine. Overnight works too.

3. OP
    OP
    zcpetty

I was thinking a few hours to overnight. A lot of forums had people saying days! Haha

4. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

It would be wise to test for about three to four days. Fill it up to a third first, another third the next day and then fill it to max afterwards. Transporting a large used tank may loosen the seals and some leaks show up only when the tank is in full capacity. Testing it for a few days may save you the trouble of dismantling a tank has been already set up and leaking.

5. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Make sure the tank is sitting on a flat, level base and fill it to the top. Leave it for 24hr. You can put paper under the tank to see if there's any leaks easily.

6. OP
    OP
    zcpetty

I planned to fill it tomorrow night in the garage on the flat concrete. And then ifnit passed set it up inside on the stand sunday. My concern is the temps are still drooping low around here at night..

7. OP
    OP
    zcpetty

Just learned ahe never drained it. Its got stock in it as i type this. Ill still leak test but do i still need to do it for a long while?

8. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I'd still test for 24hrs. Moving a large tank could crack a seal. Very unlikely but it's possible and worth waiting 24h to make sure the tank is solid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice