used 30 gallon tank

1. sgh360 Member Member

hi sry if i put this thread on the wrong place, but i saw on my local classified a 30 gallon aquarium with a cabinet everything included for 75 bucks but it says it has some water damage on the top of the cabinet is that bad what questions should i ask to the seller? here is the pic of the aquarium

Attached Files:

2. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi sgh360 and Welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

It looks like a very nice tank. Water damages above the cabinet can be dangerous. IMO, just as long as water can be safely filled in the tank and there are no leakages then you should be fine. You could try asking to lower the price a bit since there's a bit of damage. And also ask if there are any leakages. I hope more members can swing by soon to help you out and give their opinions too. Best of luck and keep us updated! :;hf

3. Shadowbeam Member Member

I bought a used tank with water damage to the lid, the lid fell apart when I got home!
    Certainly not saying it will happen to you, but if you do go look at it I'd check the durability of the lid whilst you're there, otherwise you will need to fork out for a new lid, which can be expensive sometimes
    Best of luck!

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

water damage usually means stains I think..check it for sturdyness and maybe they will even fill it while you are there to check out the stand ....but if that tank holds water and doesnt leak, and its just water stains, I think its a great deal!!

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That looks like a furniture grade cabinet. I'd say that the asking price is a good deal. The water damage is probably just a stain, as Shawnie said.

6. sgh360 Member Member

I bought the tank today yay:;banaman its pretty cool came with alot of stuff, food, heaters,well everything you need to get the tank going. only thing is pretty nasty bunch need to clean of all it.

what is the best way to clean a used tank?

best way to clean a filter?

Best way to clean well everything used?

I filled the tank and everything works, all i need is to clean it any advice would be appreciate thx

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello sgh and congrats on the new tank. It wouldn't hurt to clean all of the ornaments and filter and even the tank with a solution of 19 parts water to 1 part bleach. Rinse and rinse until you can no longer smell the bleach. Fill the tank again and add your chemical of choice to remove chlorine. I would do a double dose of chlorine remover. Drain it, fill it and add the chlorine remover again and you should be ready to start. Personally I would throw out substrate but that's up to you.
    I'll be looking forward to updates from you!
    Have fun!
    Ken