Use gold fish to get tank ready?

Yodi

Reaction score
Hi anyone, I was told that to get my tropical tank ready for the fish that I should use goldfish to break In a new setup. But now that I've had goldfish In my tank for three months (I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right) Is It safe to put tropical fish In my tank now? If so which are the best fish to start with? I'm pretty new at the tropical fish thing so I guess I need a hardier fish. Thanks In advance.

Yodi

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually it's not a good combination to put goldfish in the same tank as tropical fish. Goldfish like the tank colder then tropical fish do. They also produce 3 times the amount of waste that tropical fish do and though they don't have an issue with the extra waste, tropical fish do. It is certainly possible to do, but it requires a lot more tank upkeep to keep the water clean enough for the tropical fish to do well. And you will need to get tropical fish that don't mind the water a bit cooler or the goldfish will suffer.

Yodi

Reaction score
I was just told to use the goldfish because they said It would get the tank ready for the tropical fish. And so I can practice on keeping a tropical tank. As soon as I get fish for my tank I'll find the goldfish a new home. Was this a good Idea or a bad Idea? Also which fish are the best starter fish, since I'm a beginner? And one more thing, can I put sucker fish In with my goldfish for now? Thank you, thank you!

Yodi

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You'll want an API master freshwater testing kit to see how the tank is for your tropical fish. The plecos get very big unless you get one of the dwarf plecos so you'll want to see if you can get one that fits your tank and is comfortable in the temp range the goldfish like. Platys & Guppys are pretty hardy fish to start with, just get all males unless you want babies.

Yodi

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the Information!

Yodi

Yodi

Reaction score
So was putting goldfish In the tank a good Idea to get It ready for tropical fish? Or will I need to tear everything down and clean It and let It cycle before putting tropical fish In It?

Yodi

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yodi said:
So was putting goldfish In the tank a good Idea to get It ready for tropical fish? Or will I need to tear everything down and clean It and let It cycle before putting tropical fish In It?

Yodi
I think it just needs cleaned and a partial water change if it's cycled already.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, don't tear down everything. Just use the gravel vac, change about 30-50% of the water (probably 30) and if there is any gunk on the walls of the tank, wipe that down too. Make sure to dechlorinate the water before adding it so that you don't kill the cycle.
IMO I wouldn't have used the goldfish, because now you have to find them a home, and you could've cycled with just ammonia, but you live and learn. I hope you have a heater for the tropical fish (you probably do).
Wait 24 hours after cleaning the tank and removing the goldfish before you add the tropical fish.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I recently have used the goldfish to "season" the tank it makes it so the tank is not boring and empty but it also makes the tank very dirty. I found my feeder fish to be incredibly dirty and poor mannered. NO chance of putting in a fan tail or a moor so i took them back to the store. I went with a hardy tetra the black skirt. it has been 3 weeks and i have already added a 3" pleco. take your time and it should be fine. Were any of the goldfish sick or did you lose any during the cycling process?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom