Use For "wave Machines" In A Freshwater Tank?

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
In my CraigsList buy I got two "wave makers" (what the owner called them anyway).

I'm wanting to do a freshwater planted tank with fish. Is there any use for the devices?

Also what is the other PVC device that I was given? Pics are attached.

Last question for now - how do I get the green gunk off the parts safely for the fish. No soap, but any advice on best to use? The heater is the most encrusted.

Just figured out that the first pic are the spray bars for the canister filter. It says they are an undergravel spray bar but I'm using BDBS so no idea how putting the bar under that would possibly work.

So much to learn! Off to reading.

Attachments

Somthingfishy01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are you sure its an undergravel spray bat, anyway it looks like you also have either an intake or outtake filter. Wave makers in fish tank are set up towards the top of the tank so that it creates small waves and the surface of the water is constantly moving which is very vital to get oxygen into the tank

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My filter is a SunSun HW 303b. When I looked up the parts for it on Amazon the description said the bar is an undergravel device.

Since I don’t have standard setup parts I’ll be looking into YouTube to figure out how to set it all up.
I have the same canister and the same intake and spray bar. As far as I’m concerned that is not an undergravel device. It is the regular spray bar that goes up by the surface of the water. I have no clue what amazon is talking about. Lol

lisa99

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It’s a 75 gallon normal rectangular tank.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’s a 75 gallon normal rectangular tank.
I really wouldn’t use the wavemakers in the 75g unless you have fish that like high flow. I have 3 in my 210 gallon and I only use one because the fish don’t like it.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never heard of an undergravel spray bar, though I suppose one could use it with a reverse flow UGF. The undergravel portion would be if you were using an undergravel filter. Basically a series of plates that create a gap between the substrate and the bottom of the tank. Typically water is pumped from under the plates. This pulls water down through the gravel. The flow of oxygenated water through the gravel promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria that filter the water.

In a reverse flow UGF, you pump water into the area below the gravel. This forces the water up through the substrate. Same basic idea, just in the opposite direction. The theory is that it reduces accumulation of detritus in the substrate because of the water flowing up instead of down. A spray bar could be used to get better distribution of water under the filter plates, but, like I said, I've never heard of anyone actually doing this.

There may also be some benefit with the development of denitrifying bacteria in the substrate if the water is coming from a canister filter since the aerobic bacteria in the canister will have used some of the oxygen in the water. The denitrifying bacteria need a low oxygen environment.

I think what you have is just a typical spray bar for the filter return. Where the undergravel stuff came from is a mystery.

Somthingfishy01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm pretty sure its a normal spray bar too mainly because I have the same filter but it doesn't matter, I don't use the spray bar, I find it slows down the water flow. I just let the hook shaped outtake rest on the side of the tank and it just pours water in. This also creates water flow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom