Use Ammo Lock or wait for Prime?

321fishinfool

Hello, your typical overthinker here. To keep it short, I have 5 zebra danios in a 10 gallon tank which is in the process of cylcling. The past couple of days, I've had slightly high ammonia levels (at or slightly above 0.5ppm). Yesterday, I did a 20% water change in addition to not feeding the fish to help manage the ammonia levels.

Today, I tested the water, ammonia was at about 0.5ppm again, so I immediately did a 20% water change and fed them this time. I have Ammo Lock arriving soon (today) from Amazon, but I've been doing research and I see that Prime is much more popular among the experienced fish keepers, so I ordered some of it. My question is, should I use the Ammo Lock today to help protect my fish, or should I wait til tomorrow (when the Prime will arrive) to dose with Prime?

mattgirl

Do a bigger water change to get the ammonia lower. Put the ammo-lock on a bottom shelf and wait for Prime. If you are seeing .5 ammonia a 50% water change will get it down to safer levels.

Upvote 0

321fishinfool

Do a bigger water change to get the ammonia lower. Put the ammo-lock on a bottom shelf and wait for Prime. If you are seeing .5 ammonia a 50% water change will get it down to safer levels.

Thank you very much, like I said, overthinker here. I just want to make sure the fish are as healthy as can be. I will follow your advice, and again, thank you!

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

Prime is more popular but API actually posted test results for Ammo Lock on their website. I only gave it a quick skim but it's better than the anecdotal evidence for Prime.

Ammo Lock does have a tendency to give off the scale results with the API ammonia test so even if it detoxifies ammonia you may not be able to measure how your cycle is progressing.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
isabeldiwata
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies