Use a stock tank as a pond

WolfaraRose

Ok! I am planning on setting up an above ground pond for my goldfish to go to during summers in Montana:

I need some help though. I am planning on getting 8' round x 2' tall polyethyle stock tanks. I live in farm country so this seems like the best option. The goldfish going into this are fancies, and they will be wintered indoors in 2 100 gallon stock tanks. I may try some comets through the winter to see how it goes (going to try to insulate it, but will pull the fish if it gets too cold)

But questions are as follows -

How in the world do you cycle something like this?
Does it need a filter?
What equipment do I need?
Should I get some Gambusia (mosquito eaters)?
Do I need a liner?
How exactly do I fill it up? Would a hose connected to the outside spigot work?
What about Water changes?
How full should I fill it?
What kind of net do I put over it to keep predatory birds and other wildlife from getting em?
Can I go filterless?
So yea... information regarding this would be very helpful! Thanks!

Claire Bear

HI and that is awesome! Comets will not work with fancy-you may already know that and as far as filling it up. A spigot sounds like the best way to do it. I would then give it a couple of weeks or more to allow the water to stabilize and if you have a filter and pump in mind, I looked into the ones on the pet solutions site and they have just about anything you could want in the way of pond equipment.
As far as a net, depends on what type of wildlife or birds of prey you have there. We have raccoons here which is why I have never started a pond.
Good luck!

WolfaraRose

Hello Ms. Claire, and yes I do know. I will be trying to see if a comet would survive a winter with this set up (because I may buy another one for that purpose). And we have hawks. Many many hawks as well as seagulls. I will probably set it up sometime this year (if money and time allows) so yes.

So far as filtration goes, I've been looking at DrFostersandSmith. Is settling the same as the cycling process or is it something different?

I also think a net would be wise as well as some hidey holes under the water for the fish. We do not have any racoons in town, but we do have rabbits, and the occasional gopher and deer, and of course cats. But we do have a fenced in yard, and I can always build a deter cats thing around the pond as well.

Any other advice for a newbie pond person? I know a good chunk about aquariums so hoping this will go okay. It's in the 500-700 gallon range.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Katie993
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Katie993
  • Question
  • LHanna61
  • Ponds
Replies
Views