Use a power head on a sponge filter

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
I was wondering I have guppies so I don’t want too much flow, but would a power head that can move 400litres/hour too powerful connected to a sponge (10cm diameter) filter in a 60litre tank? That will Pump all the water in my tank 7 times in an hour which is a bit much, but I assume by attaching the sponge filter it will reduce a bit. I don’t want it too rough though. The only size under is one that does 185litres/hour which is 3 times in one hour which is good but adding the sponge will reduce it a lot and it may not be powerful enough to pump the water efficiently. Any advice on which one I should choose? Thanks in advance

AO1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Will that be your sole filter?
I have a dual sponge filter powered by a powerhead. I don't feel that sponge filter reduced the flow much.

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
AO1 said:
Will that be your sole filter?
I have a dual sponge filter powered by a powerhead. I don't feel that sponge filter reduced the flow much.
Yeah this is my sole filter, and the air does not seem to make the sponge suck up much as I barely squeeze out anything when I clean it. So if I stick to the 185litres/hour you don’t think it’ll struggle? Also did you have to have a special adaptor to connect them?

AO1

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Even if the powerhead is 3x flow, it's still pulling way more water than air powered. If you didnt have a problem with air, then you definitely won't have problem with 3x, or even 2x. personally, I would go with 185 vs 400 since it's a small tank. I cut a piece of the hose from the gravel vacuum to connect it. See pic.

Attachments

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
AO1 said:
Even if the powerhead is 3x flow, it's still pulling way more water than air powered. If you didnt have a problem with air, then you definitely won't have problem with 3x, or even 2x. personally, I would go with 185 vs 400 since it's a small tank. I cut a piece of the hose from the gravel vacuum to connect it. See pic.
Oh awesome that’s a good idea and that’s true, I’ll get the 185 then, thanks heaps for your help :)

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't think they make them any more, but I have a 118 gpm TopFin powerhead on my sponge filter in my 20 gallon tank. It still has quite a bit of output, but I direct the flow into a big root ball from my sweet potato to break up the current.

New Threads