Use a Breeder Net How Do I

1. yukoandk Member Member

Well, I got a net breeder for my goldfish fry, and would like to know if there's any trick to using it. My fry are two-and-a-half-week old, some are younger and smallest ones are about 1/4" long, and I last counted 18 of them. (https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/goldfish/58913-me-grandma.html)

They are in a small container right now, and I keep changing a small amount of water through out the day to keep it from going bad. I am hoping to keep them in this breeder net inside the original tank until they get a little bigger, and today I've been adding some of the tank water gradually to let them acclimate to the water.

I would like some advise if any of you have experience in breeding. Is there anything I should know before I proceed? They won't get stuck between the frame and net or anything like that, would they? Is this even a good idea? I'm a little nervous for my little grandkids...

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I've used breeder nets on several occasions and I've never had a problem with them getting caught between the net and the frame or anything like that.

I hope that helps!:;hug2 Congratulations again. Goldfish fry-that's quite an accomplishment IMO.

3. yukoandk Member Member

Thank you bolivianbaby! The bigger fry made the move safely and they seem pretty happy in the net. I dicided to keep the smaller guys in a container so they get enough food to grow a little bigger. I should've gotten a few more of them nets!

4. bubblefish Member Member

I use the nets for my platy fry. They sometimes squeeze in between the frame and net but are able to get back out with no problems.

5. yukoandk Member Member

Hi bubblefish! Yea, I saw my fry doing that, but turned out they were just fine. I discovered that hatched brine shrimp I dumped inside the net would swim through the net and get away. I don't know what I should do about that... I want to make sure the fry are getting enough to eat.

6. bubblefish Member Member

Hi,

That's funny. I feed mine a prepared food called Firstbites. I mash thawed frozen baby brine shrimp and feed them this every other day. Sometimes I mix in some boiled egg yolk too. This clouds the water a bit but clears pretty quickly. I just put a tiny bit in.

7. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

I remember when I was younger and would watch my dad's fish in his tank and the angel fish would suck the babies out of the net, but I've never seen or heard this problem with anybody else.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Yuko, I don't have anything helpful to add. Just wanted to tell you I think your tank is gorgeous. It delights my 20 month old daughter when I show her the pics.

9. yukoandk Member Member

Meenu, thank you for the compliment! I'll have to post some updated pictures here soon for your little girl then!

The mesh looks really fine but I guess not fine enough for brine shrimp or angel fish babies, yikes. I've started feeding a little ground up pellets to the fry as well, and they seems to be eating it. I was just thinking about picking up some Hikari Firstbites, too!