USB Nano Air pump with 4-way metal gang valve

GatlingGun

Hello All, I am thinking about expanding my hobby with an Amazon Basics rack for 20 gallon long's (thinking about 3-4 tanks). I am currently cycling 2 sponge filters in my 40 breeder planted tank: two Nano coarse Sponge filters (3.5h x 3w) and one Hydra Aquatics Standard medium Sponge filter. These will eventually go in the 20 long's once it's set up, but I am not sure if hooking those 2 USB Nano Air Pump's for the use of 3-4 tanks would be enough flow. There are 2 Ziss Air Stone's and a Penn-Plaxx Air stone, and the Ziss ones are very good at dispersing the air. I know Cory is a strong believer in a smaller amount of flow, but does anyone think it could be pulled off?

ChrissFishes01

I think it could be done, but I'd be hesitant to run it full-time like that. I'd imagine that much pressure would likely burn the pump out a lot quicker.

I've found them to be great little pumps - cheap, quiet, powerful, and small. But after a year of working with a long piece of airline on my 36 gallon, the pump has gotten noticeably weaker and seems to be vibrating more. To be expected with a diaphragm pump, but I'd imagine the backpressure on the system you're describing would be a bit much for it long-term.

I might recommend using one pump per tank. They're only $10, and you'd probably spend almost as much on the gang valve and the extra tubing as would just buying two more pumps. I'm running one on a 20 long and love it at that size, with a short piece of airline.

Plus, you can hang them off the tank for a tidy look, too.

Upvote 0

GatlingGun

Very helpful! I think you're right on individual Nano Air Pump's. Do you know a good place to get airline tubing that's clear? I got some as a gift, but it was some off-brand stuff.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

Very helpful! I think you're right on individual Nano Air Pump's. Do you know a good place to get airline tubing that's clear? I got some as a gift, but it was some off-brand stuff.
Well, I prefer black airline so I honestly have never tried many clear varieties. I do think that the Top Fin (Petsmart Generic) tubing is actually decent, and I used it when I worked there. Not as good as others (It's a bit stiffer), but it did the trick.

Upvote 0

GatlingGun

Well, I prefer black airline so I honestly have never tried many clear varieties. I do think that the Top Fin (Petsmart Generic) tubing is actually decent, and I used it when I worked there. Not as good as some (It's a bit stiffer), but it did the trick.
Thanks. Some are pretty pricy, so I'll have to check out the Top Fin air lines.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sigrunr
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
  • Question
Replies
Views