USB air pump

MySquishy

Has anyone used this air pump?
What kind of water movement/ volume is it capable of attached to a sponge filter?
Does it last?
Quiet *and* low price sound a bit too good to be true, but I’ve only read good things about it.
USB Nano Air Pump

JamesVader

I have been looking into it too And have read so much about it

And here is a one year review by Bay Area Aquatics
Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hi MySquishy

Its rated at .6 litres per minute. That’s not much air . I work on around 1.5 litres per minute per sponge as a rough guide. Clearly I am wrong in my calculations? Clearly it’s enough for one sponge and like you I have only good reviews.I have seen them used in deep tanks ( pushing air under pressure) Only good reviews is warning enough.
It’s small and I don’t think made originally as a permanent part of a live support system. It’s ideal as a spare when the power goes out and to use in a car from what I have seen. Low voltage would be good outside. Do they offer any spare parts ? Can it even be pulled apart?
$8,99 it’s a throw away perhaps?

Let me say I have a lot of time for Cory and follow him. But at the end of the day he is a business man with a family to feed.

Upvote 0

Cooperman411

Just ordered one last week. We’ll see how it goes. Using it on a a 4 gallon so my expectations are pretty low.

Upvote 0

JamesVader

Hi MySquishy

Its rated at .6 litres per minute. That’s not much air . I work on around 1.5 litres per minute per sponge as a rough guide. Clearly I am wrong in my calculations? Clearly it’s enough for one sponge and like you I have only good reviews.I have seen them used in deep tanks ( pushing air under pressure) Only good reviews is warning enough.
It’s small and I don’t think made originally as a permanent part of a live support system. It’s ideal as a spare when the power goes out and to use in a car from what I have seen. Low voltage would be good outside. Do they offer any spare parts ? Can it even be pulled apart?
$8,99 it’s a throw away perhaps?

Let me say I have a lot of time for Cory and follow him. But at the end of the day he is a business man with a family to feed.
Or it could just be a good little air pump

Upvote 0

JayAlva

I've been using one for a year on a 26 gallon bow front because I needed gentle agitation. It is quiet and It works decent enough to supplement but I don't run it alone, maybe it would work on smaller aquarium setups.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I've had one running since January in a 5.5 gallon tank with the smallest sponge filter Aquarium Co-op sells. I haven't had any issues with it.

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Thanks everyone!

JamesVader, I‘d seen the review, but not the one by Bay Area Aquatics. If he can run three sponge filters on three usbs in a 75 gal.... Makes me wonder if my plan to use two sponge filters/ usb air pumps in a 29 gal would be sufficient filtration?
One glaring difference is his tank is heavily planted, and mine won’t be. (my tank doesn’t exist yet, still in the planning stage. I’m thinking of stocking with mollies/ cory cats/maybe some shrimp...)

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Three USPS ?
Just a thought.
The Price per litre of air pumped is quickly going to jump if you start buying 3 of those little unserviceable ,non permanent, Devices .
Pumping 0.6 litres of air is an expensive toy.
This advertisement is in Australian dollars but even so 30 litres per minute for $100 Australian.

F32BF237-F1A6-4906-A0AF-23A277F50887.png

Upvote 0

MySquishy

I’ve thought of that. If two would be enough, I think I’d be ok with that, It’d only be $18, and since my tank has to be in my bedroom, it’s worth it to have quiet.
But any more than that and you’re right: not cost effective.
That’s why I’m trying to figure out what’s possible beforehand, as much as I can.

Three USPS ?
Just a thought.
The Price per litre of air pumped is quickly going to jump if you start buying 3 of those little unserviceable ,non permanent, Devices .
Pumping 0.6 litres of air is an expensive toy.
This advertisement is in Australian dollars but even so 30 litres per minute for $100 Australian.

F32BF237-F1A6-4906-A0AF-23A277F50887.png

Upvote 0

JamesVader

all I know it that when I have bought other air pumps that are supposed to be quiet, for my bedroom. They always end up being too loud.

I think it’s worth it to have a SUPER quiet air pump that lasts for a long time, but it can’t move as much air. Especially in a bedroom

not to mention that it can run off a battery pack (in case of a power outage)

Upvote 0

Rcslade124

I mean that's amazing. Def will need some if and when I move again. Plug in the car and boom airated holding containers. Run in tank a few weeks could get a decent trip out of it.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

If they are as quiet as they seem on video it’s worth having them in a bedroom.

I guess I am a little anti them just because of the volume of air. I am currently pumping 120 litres a minute. Buying 199 of those little pumps and then finding somewhere to plug them all in would not work for me .

Upvote 0

MySquishy

If not the little usb,
what other air pumps are there that could powere a couple sponge filters, and an air stone maybe, in a 20 gal, and are quiet enough for a bedroom?

Upvote 0

JayAlva

I have a hygger mini air pump it's ok but I use it to supplement a cannister filter. I like to always run a sponge with something else. And I have that usb right now running a large sponge filter on my 75 gallon along with my ac 110 hob. It's doing a decent job for what it costs. Main thing is it's quiet no humming noise.

hygger Quiet Mini Air Pump for Aquarium 1.5 Watt Oxygen Fish Air Pump for 1-15 Gallon Fish Tank with Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKGB88M/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_JxAwFbNH8HNJD

Upvote 0

Jerome O'Neil

I have never regretted collecting a pile of rarely used small things. Small pumps, small heaters, small filters, you name it, if it's small I've probably got one in a basket some where. And I keep them because while they are rarely used, when you need one of them, you generally *really* need one of them.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

IMO it seems like a good pump (I was looking at it yesterday), but Aquarium Co-Op's shipping is just too much for me to handle!

Upvote 0

JayAlva

IMO it seems like a good pump (I was looking at it yesterday), but Aquarium Co-Op's shipping is just too much for me to handle!
I agree and that's how I ended up with the pump I needed an add in item to qualify for free shipping.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I agree. That's why I usually wait until I need a number of things to spread it out a little. I can always use fish food, and they have a good selection. I've also started ordering multiple bottles of their fertilizer to minimize the number of orders.

Upvote 0

Sigrunr

It's good for what it is, and is good to have in case of power outages. A few weeks ago in MN we had some major storms that knocked out power in my area for about 16 hours. My power banks did not charge up appropriately and so I was left with the USB pumps attached to the sponge filter (one in 75g and one in a 29 high) and my laptops to keep them going. It puts out a lot more than expected in otherwise still water, and kept enough oxygen and water movement in it to keep the fish alive.

Once power was back on, I let the pumps go to see how long it would take to drain the laptops. Took about 36 hours for them to deplete, so they are very energy efficient.

I would not use it as a primary pump, but a supplemental doesn't hurt. It's very quiet so perfect for smaller tanks in bedrooms or offices where sound control is more needed.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
MoshJosh
Replies
Views