Usable Aquarium?

1. Gillis6

Gillis6 New Member Member

My friend is offering me a 40 gallon tank. Problem is is that he used it for a lizard and we can't tell if it's an aquarium or not. It fits all the dimensions of one that size 36x18x16 with 6mm glass thickness. He doesn't remember what it's called or the brand that made it. He only remembers buying it from Petco like 5 years ago. I need to figure out if I can use it or not. 20170717_151601.jpg

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

What is the thickness of the glass?
    What are the tanks dimensions?

3. M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

6mm is easily enough to be an aquarium, I'd just advise putting water in it first before using it for fish.

4. Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium with the exact same dimensions and glass thickness. Supposedly, 6mm is the standard. It's an Aqueon and holds water fine. Definitely test it and make sure the seals and seams are good before putting any fish in it, but personally, I think you're ok.

5. OP
    OP
    Gillis6

I'm going to bring it home and fill it half way and see how it does. But because we don't know if it's an aquarium or not makes me scared

6. M

Murderface the fish :P Valued Member Member

Fill it up all the way slowly, see if it leaks if not, fill it half way and clean it and you should be good to go,

7. OP
    OP
    Gillis6

Alright will do

8. MadRiley

MadRiley New Member Member

9. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

PetCo's aquariums are made by Aqueon. For a short period of time, they tried to sell tanks made by Tetra. The outcry was deafening and they returned to selling Aqueon. (Show us the production tag visable on a bare aquarium and we may be able to tell you which era it is from.

10. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

It looks like it's a aquarium with a add on screen top. If the top is a built in part of the tank it's a terrarium.

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

There comes a point where you need to think that whether it's worth the risk. What happens if it did break and it's all over the floors and damages the floors. My thinking is that if it's made for aquarium it's made for it. If it's made to hold a reptile it's made for a reptile.

The insurance side of me says that I rather not take the risk.

12. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

I couldn't agree more, my $1,000.00 deductable says that it's not worth the risk, a new tank is cheaper.

13. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

I had a used 110 blow out on me at 3Am. Woke up to smoke from the motors.

Cragslist for tanks never again! LOL

14. Kaelico

Kaelico Valued Member Member

I agree with the above, unless you can find the label that specifies the brand, make, and purpose of the tank, it may not be worth risking your nice, expensive floors. Not to mention, even if it is a usable aquarium, years of clawed, reptile inhabitants might have worn or scratched the silicone seals and there might be warrant to redo them. At that point, buying new might just be a better alternative.

15. OP
    OP
    Gillis6

When I can see it i'll check for a label or anything like that. His brother bough it so he's asking him if he remembers what it was.

16. R

RyanLewis Valued Member Member

You could always grab some aquarium grade silicone and reseal them yourself

17. tommywantfishy

tommywantfishy Well Known Member Member

Looks like an aquaon maybe 29g?

Fill it up with a hose and set it outside for a month.

18. Calico

Calico Valued Member Member

If you do try filling it, maybe do it outside? That way if it does leak, nothing will be damaged.