Uromastyx?

Discussion in 'Our Other Pets' started by UglyAsian, Jun 24, 2018.

1. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

I was looking at them and they actually seem pretty nice. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them? I have a tank big enough, but the only problem is that the tank might be too tall for lighting. I could hang lights by the cord though.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

How tall is the tank? If you use the right wattage, it should be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok. The tank is 25 inches off the ground I have a skull branch thing that extends to about 5-6 inches off the ground, so is that fine?

4. AquaticJ

Yes, just use the appropriate wattage on the basking bulb/nightime heat bulb. Also, don’t forget to get UVB as well.

5. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

So can I just have two lamps one for heat and one for uvb?

6. AquaticJ

You actually need two, but not just those. What I would do is get a basking bulb that also supplies UVB, so you don't have to have two separate lights. Basking lights don't heat up the entire tank, instead, they give extreme amounts of heat when directly under them. The basking spot should be 100-115 degrees when he/she is directly in line of it, depending how close he/she decides to get (they need the option). The temperature of the entire tank during the day needs to be around 85, then no need for nighttime heat as long as it doesn't go below 65. So in total you have two light fixtures, one is to heat up your tank to 85, and the other is a two in one basking/UVB.

7. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

They seem pretty cool. I’ve seen them in person, and they appear to be very self-aware, unlike many reptiles.

8. OP
    OP
    UglyAsian

Ok, yeah, I wanted them because they seemed like they would make a good friend, and their feeding is super easy

9. Velma

Velma Well Known Member Member

Do you know what species you’re looking in to getting? Each species have some minimally different husbandry requirements. And how big is your tank? As adults most species need a 6 foot x 2 foot enclosure (if they’re over 15 inches long), one species grows up to 3 feet, but the more common types grow between 10-18 inches. A 40 gallon breeder is considered bare minimum.

And I saw your previous thread asking about reptiles that don’t need fed live foods and what not, a blue tongue skink is also a good option :) babies eat grain free cat food and adults eat grain free dog food and some veggies, greens, and some fruits. Most species would do well in a 40 gallon breeder, such as the common northern BTS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice