Uro help needed

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by Akari_32, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

So Rex, my 2-ish year old Mali has buried himself. He's never done this before to my knowledge (I wasn't here with him last winter, I was away at college), so I have no idea what to do! I can't find anything online that says if it's normal or not.

I know they hybernate of sorts, and can come out when ever to bask and eat. He's always been like that, so that doesnt help me any. He's antisocial, and loves his driftwood and his house. If he's not using one, he's using the other.

Anyways, He hasn't come out in several days. His food is untouched, which is very unlike him, and there are no new tracks in the sand. The only recent change in his environment is a good cleaning and rearranging, but these are done on a regular basis, so it's nothing new to him, for sure.

I'm 99% sure he's buried himself because there's a crater in the sand in his cave, and Rexie-sized mound next to it. The only other place he could be is shoved up inside a large ExoTerra waterfall I have in there for him, as he likes to climb on it (no water, obviously, and the basin is removed so it fits in the tank better). I've never seen him have any interest in going under it, so don't think that's much of a possibility.

So, what should I do?? Tear the tank apart and dig him out, or leave him be?? If he is hybernating in his own weird Rexie way, I don't want to disturb him, but at the same time, I don't think he should be buried....

2. klogue2

klogue2Valued MemberMember

Even though it's a little late into winter to be brumating, it's very possible that's what he's doing. Have the temps varied at all in the last few weeks? Specifically going a little lower than normal in his tank? If so, it could have triggered him into brumation mode and he's going into a nice deep sleep. I don't have much experience with uros but I have two juvie beardies, one of which is nearing maturity and almost brumated this winter, but didn't quite get all the way. I don't mess with my beardies temps, some believe it's beneficial to brumate lizards even when not breeding but I see no reason to if I'm not breeding.

It really sounds to me like he's just brumating late; I'm not sure about uros but beardies will appear almost dead when brumating, and just wake up one day. Their metabolism is slowed almost to a stop while they brumate to prevent starvation. I'd leave him be and wait until maybe late march to wake him up if he hasn't by then. Since he's brumating late he may stay asleep longer into spring, but I can't say for sure.

Also, if you're worried about him getting enough oxygen being buried and all, just remember in the wild this is what they would normally do, dig themselves a little hole and sleep :) As long as the sand isn't completely covering the hole he should be fine imo.

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Well, I do live in Florida lol

He's completely buried, if he's buried at all. I suppose it's a possibility that, judging where he took the sand from, that what he really did was make a new door for his cave. The cave itself is huge, but it's made for a medium sized snake, do the door is pretty small. Perhaps I have over reacted, but Rex is not a smart cookie, so he could very have fully covered himself in sand. I'll check the inside of the water fall when I get home (had to run out for crickets for my Leo).

4. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I found him! Turns out, he's just as stupid as I thought he was.... He had himself shoved up in a crevice inside the waterfall, and couldn't turn around. He's cold and skinny, but otherwise fine. I gave him some romane (his favorite lettuce), some extra seeds (his favorite ever), and some vitamins, and put him up on his driftwood to bask.

Unstuck

Being stalked by the dog

His tank (still being stalked)

Still being stalked

Being grumpy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  5. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

I'm so happy you found him the silly lizard

6. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Thanks Magoo :)

I may have to revoke his waterfall privileges. He dug back under there again before the night was out, but he slept in his cave. I'm sure he missed it lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice