!urgent!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by mutantguppy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mutantguppyNew MemberMember

There is an epidemic in my ten planted right now. A female guppy died yesterday, and now a male guppy has died, and there is a female guppy, although still alive, looks to be beyond the point of return, probably dead in the next few hours. It seems to be some white, creamy, fungus, looking stuff inside the body starting at various points, and spreading and killing within a matter of HOURS. I have qurantined the remaining female, the female guppy that replaced the guppy that was lost yesterday(my LFS will replace dead fish if reported within 7 days and your aquarium water samples are good, my aquarium water was tested to be good, so I know it's not a amonnia, nitrate, or nitrite problem.) seems ok for now, but I'm especially concerned for her since replacements cannot be replaced. The 7 neons and 1 dwarf gourami that share the tank with them are perfectly fine with no signs of illness, whatever it is is only infecting the guppies.

TL;DR: Weird fungus like disease, quickly killing, only happening to guppies, 2 guppies dead so far.

2. aquaticatWell Known MemberMember

Really sorry about your guppies, I read your last post as well. I'm not familiar with fish diseases, but I've read the best thing to do for a fungus is plenty of water changes, 25% would probably be a good start... I'd definitely try it just in case your other fish would happen to get it too.

Sorry I can't help much :(

3. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

if your sure it fungus then get some maracyn 1 & 2, it should clear it up. but until you get it lots of water changes.

4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, I hope you get some responses soon. It's quite early in the morning, hopefully some members will have some ideas.

To help the other members, did you happen to get the actual parameters when the water was tested?

I don't have any experience with disease, so I don't want to speculate, but by your description, it sounds like columnaris. We had a member a while back that had problems with columnaris and guppies.

Hang on for more responses..... I honestly don't know what to do.....

:;du EDIT: I have just merged your two threads relating to the same disease/problem. Please only start one thread per topic.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  5. matsungitWell Known MemberMember

Yes, it seems like you are describing columnaris and it is indeed a fast killer. If it is, then your neons and gourami may be next. Forget mild remedies and go for strong antibiotics. Nitrofurazone like Furan-2 and Kanamycin like Seachem Kanaplex combined. Treat longer even when symptoms disappear just to make sure they are all gone. While treating, check ammonia and nitrite levels often just to make sure your cycle is still intact (since the antibiotics are broad spectrum and may not discriminate). Also, it is important to remove carbon from your filter since it will adsorb the medication. A partial water change and fresh carbon will remove the medication and bring things back to normal when you are done medicating.

6. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

This sound like Columnaris I think, a bacterial disease that kills fish very fast. I had it in my tank, and treated with two antibiotics (you could use maracyn and maracyn 2 or another set of antibiotics that works against both gram negative and gram positive bacteria. The good news is that with antibiotics treatment even some of those fish that looked too far gone in my tank made a recovery. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice