Urgent! Zebra Danio Swimming Sideways

ASquidabs0727
Hello,
5 and 1/2 year old female zebra danio. Lives with one other zebra danio (male) in a 10g tank. Water changes every two weeks since such a low bioload. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates stay under 20. Fully cycled tank, they have been in this tank for over a year. I feed Tetra Color Tropical Flakes, they struggle to eat pellets. Occasionally frozen emerald entree or peas. Just did a water change today when I noticed she was swimming a bit odd. She’s lopsided. She is also clamping some of her fins on the side of the body she is leaning towards. They don’t appear torn. I don’t notice any visible injuries or other symptoms. Her scales are not raised; I don’t suspect dropsy. I haven’t introduced anything new to tank including plants. I fed emerald entree yesterday, didn’t feed anything today. I use Seachem Prime for water changes. Clearly something might be up with her swim bladder. I know she’s old but she’s been in good health.

Advertisement
A201
The problem is likely age related. Great job keeping the Danio up & running over five years. That's far better than most of us could. Lol.

Advertisement
ASquidabs0727
The problem is likely age related. Great job keeping the Danio up & running over five years. That's far better than most of us could. Lol.
Thank you! I really appreciate that, I care for these fish deeply. I am sad that she might pass. I’ve just added an aerator, hopefully will help her oxygen levels remain stable as she seems a bit lethargic. I’m considering adding aquarium salt or seachem stress guard, what do you think?

A201
It wouldn't hurt to try. Hope things get better soon.

ASquidabs0727
ASquidabs0727
Update- no change. I haven’t added aquarium salt but I just added seachem stress guard. I don’t think I’ll add the salt because it’s her swim bladder most likely malfunctioning and epsom salt is typically used for that right? I don’t want to add aquarium salt and then have to give her an epsom salt bath, too much salt lol. I’m added the stress guard just to cover some bases. I did feed her a pea today.

ASquidabs0727
It wouldn't hurt to try. Hope things get better soon.
How can you tell if a swim bladder disease is caused by a bacterial infection? Would the other fish be showing symptoms?
She’s not doing good. She’s been resting at bottom of tank hiding and Seachem Stress Guard hasn’t helped. She ate yesterday but not today.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ASquidabs0727
Replies
Views
ASquidabs0727
Replies
Views
ASquidabs0727
Replies
Views