Urgent! Worms?!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CooperF04, Apr 10, 2017.

1. CooperF04

CooperF04 New Member Member

Hey so I was just doing a water change and cleaning up plants pruning etc and i siphon into a big black tub and before I throw it out I shine a torch into it to see if I accidentally siphoned up any fry that sometimes come out when I siphon around the pearl grass and I shone the torch and at first I thought it was some of the white thread I used to tie some plants down but it was moving!
    I was like huh, and tried touching it and it squiggled away like a snake/worm.
    There's two of them in this tub and god knows how many in the tank??

They are extremely tiny and thin like a piece of white thread and don't appear to have heads

Please help i'm having a mini heart attack thinking the worst :(

2. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

Possibly detritus worms?? Have you seen them anywhere else in the tank like on the walls and such??
    If it is detritus worms they are completely harmless.
    Do a Google search and see if that is possibly what you have.

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Could be detritus worms as said above, or if you are in a warmer climate, insect larvae from a fly by.
    I don't know what fish there are, but most gut worms wouldn't have been moving .
    Worms, larvae, these things appear and disappear in healthy tanks. They are nothing to fear. After all, we are trying to create ecosystems, and we can't control life.
    If they were to be gutworms, a simple treatment with praziquantel would clear them anyway. They'd hardly be a bump on the road.

4. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Detritus worms are free food. I had a betta who would hunt them. My guppies pick at the glass and my sticklebacks completely decimated the ones in their tank.

5. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

I had some a while back my guppies just looked at them and kept going. I was hoping they were going to end up as free food lol

6. OP
    OP
    CooperF04

CooperF04 New Member Member

Thank you for the replies, they had scared me so much I didn't realise they were harmless

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice