URGENT- unidentified disease!

1. BellatheBetta

BellatheBetta Valued Member Member

I have a 7 gallon tank which was home to three male guppies but unfortunatley one died 4/5 days ago and the other about 2/3 weeks ago. I also lost 3 pygmy cories to this same thing. The symptoms that keep showing up are Long stringy poop (internal paracites??), clamped fins and loss of appetite. The tank has been up and running for 5 months and I presume it is fully cycled but my test kit just ran out and wont be getting another until tomorrow. I have treated for anti-internal bacteria upon seeing the poop but am not totally sure it will work as it is anti-internal bacteria rather than anti-internal paracites or is it the same thing? I will add photos below.
    [​IMG]

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Bacteria and parasites are two very different things that require different treatments. Your tank is overstocked though so I would start by fixing that. In crowded conditions fish will be stressed which makes it harder for them to fight off any diseases. Without knowing your parameters it's hard to make any statements about your water quality either, though I suspect that it would be improved by getting a tank large enough for your current stock.

3. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Agreed with Aquaphobia.

4. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

1 guppy in a 7 gallon is overstocked?! not sure if you saw my updated stock- one guppy died of this and the cories went to my friends big tank to make a school with hers. Will have water params by tomorrow so will let you kniw then. what do you recommend to treat internal paracites? thank you!

5. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

With the new stocking level this guppy has a fighting chance, but your tank was overstocked which likely contributed to the deaths.

6. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

ok. the other thing i wondered was if they get lonely? when the other one was in there he was always active and swimming around but now he spends a lot of time just hovering and then doing a slow swim and then back to hovering. what treatment is best for internal paracites that i could pick up at my lfs? will have water params shortly and will post on here asap.