Urgent: Sick pufferfish :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by thinkpink94, Jul 5, 2015.

1. thinkpink94

thinkpink94Valued MemberMember

Hi Fishlore,

Something is wrong with one of my dwarf pufferfish. I have two of them in the tank. This morning, I came down to find pip lying on the sand in the back of the tank. I thought she was dead, so I went to scoop her out with a net, but she twisted away from the net and went back to lying down, so I know she's alive. I immediately tested the tank water and it is immaculate ( ammonia: 0/ nitrite: 0/ nitrate: 0) and I did a 40% water change less than a week ago (they're due for another water change tomorrow). Also, my other puffer, Sydney is swimming around fine, so I really don't think it's the water. I also don't think Sydney attacked her because she has no signs of physical damage and I saw Sydney swim past her twice without paying her the slightest attention. The past two or three days, pip has not eaten much, but I chalked that up to typical puffer pickiness and I was going to find something else for her to try (right now I'm feeding them frozen bloodworms and frozen shrimp). The only other physical thing off about pip (besides lying on the ground) is that her color is much darker than usual. I'll try to post a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. OP
    OP
    thinkpink94

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436114098.331912.jpg

Here is a pic of pip :(

3. OP
    OP
    thinkpink94

Update: Pip died :'(

4. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for your loss. :(

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I'm so sorry for your loss. :'( :console:

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Sorry to hear. Did you figure out what might have happened?

7. OP
    OP
    thinkpink94

I really have no idea what happened. She's always been particularly tiny, ever since I bought her, so I think she may have been sick to begin with, but I'm not sure :(

8. Et tuValued MemberMember

So sorry about little Pip. The dark color is a tip off that she was indeed stressed, I would say that Sidney is somehow involved.

9. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

So sorry about Pip. :(

10. OP
    OP
    thinkpink94

Thanks for the condolences everyone, I really appreciate it. Sydney may have stressed her out, I won't count that out, but they had been living together peacefully for a few weeks. I'm wondering if her being sick and unable to defend herself is what caused her the stress though? Sydney really didn't seem interested in her at the end.

11. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear about the loss of Pip. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice