URGENT! Should I keep them??!?! Important

1. kelsangdol Member Member

Today, my aunt and her boyfriend bought me these two cute goldfish. One was this orange fantail *errr* and one was this adorable white telescope with black eyes.
    Well, they have ich, since they came from mmm.
    I went fish shopping later and they tested my water to see why Mikan had died. Nitrate was too high they said. 3+.
    So, I bough some salt for the tank after a 1/3 water change.
    Should I just keep the two GF now? since I have salt and everything now.
    Very urgent! The two GF are in a bucket right now to keep them away from the others.

2. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I may be wrong, but I don't think the salt will help with ich. Many members recommend not using salt because it increases the fish's slime coat due to increased stress.

I say keep them if you have another tank for them. Raise the temp of the tank to 84 degrees for two weeks and vacuum the ich spores up twice a week.

Hang in there, I'm sure one of our members who's more experienced in goldfish will be along shortly.

3. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I don't think the raising the temp. method works for goldfish because I don't think goldfish can handle water as warm as 84*. Gremlin has a favorite ich treatment for goldfish, but I can't remember what it is...

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

raising the temp will work for goldies....adding the extra airation is a must though...I would NOT add them to the main tank before clearing the ich..you can do that in the bucket if its big enough..put your heater, filter, and air rock right in there.....

5. kelsangdol Member Member

Could a salt dip/bath help? how much salt in a 5 gallon?
    I looked over the two and maybe I was mistaken ?_?

6. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Ich Attack works great for goldies with ich. You don't have to worry about raising the temp which can stress goldies. If you take them back to a store with them showing signs of ich the store will (most likely) flush them - if they will take them at all. You can treat them in the 5 gallon bucket, just make sure they have lots of aeration. I would leave them in a bare bottom tank/container until you get rid of the ich. It will give the ich less place to hide. Filter and airstones are the two main things you need. I would say treat them for the ich before you do anything else.