Urgent Severe Dropsy!! :( Important 

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Our betta Drake has been perfect except on small ich bout since september.
Coming home today he has severe dropsy and is completely pineconed, with no idea what's causing it.

Amm 0
Trite 0
Trate 15

We were going to do a water change yesterday but wanted to wait so we could trim plants and change out decor.
The inhabitants haven't changed, 1 platy and various shrimps.
Shrimps are healthy, platy doesn't have dropsy and is eating fine.
Drake is occasionally over fed but I know this won't cause the dropsy.

Is there any broad spectrum med recommened for dropsy?
Epsoms wouldn't help either would they?
I know it's really bad but... I want to save him. I'm so sad looking at him!

Tank has been set up since just before sept.

Could temp have possibly worsened his fate? The room he is in is cold so the heaters only heat to 75 if preset, no matter 50 watt or 100.
Tank is 10 gallons.

Attachments

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Epsom salt dips or baths can help to pull out excess fluids. The temp being a little cool could have effected him but your not too far off so I wouldn't point to that as a cause.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
david1978 said:
Epsom salt dips or baths can help to pull out excess fluids. The temp being a little cool could have effected him but your not too far off so I wouldn't point to that as a cause.
Cool. That's what I was hoping. I really hope he pulls through in the morning.
It's my boyfriends tank and he's not well versed on diseases so he had no idea... I'm just glad I got to see him before he possibly passes.
My poor baby.. At least he's had a wonderful life in our tank. Interacting with people and animals, not stuck in his cup anymore.
I'm willing to try everything to help him. He's very tough and looks like he's fighting hard.
Not as active as usual, but still chugging along.

Barch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I found this thread about salt baths at:

There have been a very, VERY few, isolated cases, where Kanaplex has helped what looked like dropsy. But the sad fact is, most dropsy is related to organ failure and no drug can reverse that. So it's really a shot in the dark.

I suspect the few successes with Kanplex have been due to the swelling being caused by an infection instead of organ failure and when it used soon enough, the drug was able to take care of the infection.

There is always some small chance it will work but when it has worked, it was given at the very first sign of trouble, before pine cone scales appeared.

Epsom salt baths may help draw out some fluid. You use one tablespoon of Epsom salt, pure, to one gallon of tank or conditioned new water. He can stay in that bath up to 20 minutes, up to twice a day, but you must not leave him alone. He may jump, he may show distress or roll over and if anything like that happens, you must take him out of the bath right away. Net him, ease him in gently, and watch him. It's a stress to be caught and bathed but it cannot be helped.

Keep his tank dimly lit and try to keep any noise down to reduce environmental stress as best you can that way.

Fingers crossed for the best, but, got to be honest with you, pinecone scales usually don't have a happy ending and I'm really sorry to say that.
Good luck

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Epsom salt, kanaplex and Methylene blue have been effective with dropsy for me. Usually the fish has a relapse or passes from another illness within a couple months though.

So far I’ve had a betta recover and love about 2 months after getting drospy and now a female African cichlid went back to eating and is back with the main tank after treatment.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MAGA said:
I found this thread about salt baths at:

Good luck
That link didn't seem to work, but I read from two sources, either half a tsp of aquairum salt (they said no epsom because it's not proven effective) or another that said 1 tbsp epsom for a bath per gallon.
I also have a small dropper of meth blue that came with a slide making kit for a microscope, not sure how much of it to use i probably have something like 10-12mL left of that. The bottle said 15mL.

Perfect. Thanks Demeter!
Hoping he makes it through to treatment!! *fingers crossed*

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquarium salt helps a fish uptake meds by osmotic reasons but doesn't remove fluids. Epsom does. Now if you figure out the underlying reason and chose to medicate aquarium salt can help with that.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As a bath for epson salt I’ve used about a tsp per quarter gallon or so. Then I put about 8 drops of meth, blue in 2.5gals of water with a dose of kanaplex.

This worked pretty well for a couple bettas of mine. Just give it a bath once a day and while the fish is soaking change all the water and re-dose the meds. Rather than removing the fish from the bath I dump all the water into the hospital bucket/tank so there’s a less concentrated dose of epsom.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll be taking him to my house tomorrow morning where I have a QT and all the meds needed.
So long as he powers through.
He'll be getting veggies with mom though. Dad is a sucker for feeding him (he tries to feed the platy but he doesnt like the food)

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just found this crazy video of someone removing the fluid buildup with a syringe.
In the end he didn't make it, but I'm sure it provided relief.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He's still trying to make it through with us, I'm going to try to find some syringes at walmart or a med store.
Hoping to remove the fluid to ease the stress.
I know I would feel like **** if my whole body was swollen.
He's a tough boy.
Though I'm not expecting a full recovery and long life after.
I know most cases you can only keep dropsy at bay, and eventually you'll have to decide to let them suffer til death, or euthanasia.
I just don't think now is his time, and I'm going to work with him to do everything we can.
Including getting him a warmer tank I'm sure he'll appreciate. His last heater kept him at 74-3. Got all my tanks at home over 76, the barbs are at 80. Thinking of floating him inna qt tub in that tank for extra warmth.

Stay strong Drake... We love you <3

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wasn't able to get as much fluid out as I hoped, I wasn't so brave and didn't push deep enough into his skin most the time, for fear I would hurt him.
I was also rushed towards the end and unable to finish what I wanted, but the clove oil was wearing off anyway. I was worried about not seeing gill movement so I flushed his gills and had him in a small pool of tank water instead of on a mat.
His swelling definitely went down, his scales are no longer fully pointed up, and in many places they are laying down, but hes still quite swollen.
With the help of my boyfriend I should be able to do a better job in relieving the fluid.
I'm also more confident in the clove oil and my syringe work now after the first try.
I had to use a slightly larger needle in the video, a 31 gauge instead of 28.
Also did an epsom salt bath, so stupid how almost every brand has a fragrance of multiple sorts in it.
They all smell awful too, and god knows what's making those scents.
He seems relieved and relaxed after both baths. The oil seemed to keep him relaxed for a bit after the treatment as well.
He was doing really well swimming around and resting on his betta leaf I fixed for him today.
I decided rather than moving him to a stressful bare tank, we'll leave him in his comfort environment with low light and technically more plants.
I did a lot of propagating today and really filled in the tank as well as switched out a piece of decor.
The plants look a lot better and drake really loved resting on things around the tank.
The shrimps seemed to like the change too. Knocked up a bunch of food I'm sure.
Will be doing some meth blue baths tomorrow instead of epsom.
I'll also be trying again to remove some fluid. I didn't want to do it twice in one day.
He hasn't had any excess build up since then.
He was resisting the clove oil a lot when he first starting getting in near him and in his system, my boyfriend kept saying that was the dragon in him he definitely is a fighter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom