Help Urgent! Rubber-lip Pleco With White Spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tank
  • What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gallons
  • Does it have a filter? Yes
  • Does it have a heater? Yes
  • What is the water temperature? Around 75%
  • What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) spotted rubber-lip plecostomus

Maintenance
  • How often do you change the water? Every week
  • How much of the water do you change? About 10%
  • What do you use to treat your water? Seachem prime
  • Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? My siphon is too long, getting a new one soon

Parameters
  • Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
  • What do you use to test the water? Imagintarium test strips
  • What are your parameters? We need the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm
pH: 7.5

Feeding
  • How often do you feed your fish? Twice a week
  • How much do you feed your fish? Either a small medallion of squash or four peas
  • What brand of food do you feed your fish? Either veggies or shrimp pellets (not sure the brand)
  • Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No but planning to

Illness & Symptoms:
  • How long have you had this fish? About a month
  • How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Last week
  • In a few words, (more room for details below) what are the symptoms? Sitting under filter, white spots on body (body is gray and black), bloated
  • Have you started any treatment for the illness? I’ve used the imagintaruim bacterial infection remedy
  • Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
  • How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? White spots on its back and face, bloated. Was hiding under driftwood (she never does that)
I came home today (I switch between my mothers and fathers houses) to my dads, to see that my filter was not functioning. I couldn’t find the pleco anywhere until I lifted the driftwood. The water level was too low for the filter to work, so I placed more water in the tank, and lifted the driftwood. Queenie (the pleco) is the only fish in that tank, and is still active and swimming, but severely bloated and has white spots along her face and back. Fins are fine, no spots or ripping, and her bough itself looks okay. She’s normally a light gray with darker speckles, but now she looks weird with the white blotches. Water parameters are okay, only slightly more alkaline than usual. She was fine when I left last week, just hungry and a little spotty around her mouth.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm not sure about the bloating, but what you describe is almost certainly ich, or a similar fungal infection. Which means your bacterial treatment is probably doing nothing but stressing your pleco even more. If you haven't already, stop the bacterial treatment and find something for ich. It's also very important that you find a way to vaccum the substrate to remove ich clumps. Turn up the heat to 80 if you can't get a treatment and add Epsom instead. With ich you also want to do larger changes more frequently

OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not sure about the bloating, but what you describe is almost certainly ich, or a similar fungal infection. Which means your bacterial treatment is probably doing nothing but stressing your pleco even more. If you haven't already, stop the bacterial treatment and find something for ich. It's also very important that you find a way to vaccum the substrate to remove ich clumps. Turn up the heat to 80 if you can't get a treatment and add Epsom instead. With ich you also want to do larger changes more frequently
I’ll stop the bacterial treatment immediately. What kind of epsom salt is okay for it? My heater doesn’t have settings, so that might not work

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well I'm not gonna lie to you, I don't know what Epsom salt to use, I just know it's a good treatment for lots of illnesses. Also it's not super important right now, but I'd consider adjustable heaters in the future.
If no one else comes across this thread to help with the Epsom salt question, I'd go get an ich/general fungal cure

OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I'm not gonna lie to you, I don't know what Epsom salt to use, I just know it's a good treatment for lots of illnesses. Also it's not super important right now, but I'd consider adjustable heaters in the future.
If no one else comes across this thread to help with the Epsom salt question, I'd go get an ich/general fungal cure
I’m going to get some ich cure when I go grocery shopping, since the local Petco is right next to the grocery store. I’m working on getting other things for the tank like a wave maker to resemble her natural habitat (white water rapids), and an adjustable heater. The one in there is temporary since my last one broke and this was from my 10 gallon. So far it’s doing a decent job.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Epsom salt will do nothing for Ich or fungus, it's only use is for bloated. Unscented epsom salt is the only type safe for fish use.
I would get a general Ich cure, I'm not sure all are pleco safe, but just to be sure it's ich, can you post a picture?

OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In that case you could also take some pictures to show to their aquatics people and see what they say
I would but the tank is lit by sunlight, and I have relatively dark substrate. She blends right in. Also Petco aquatics people (at least the ones near me) aren’t very good, they told me that a common pleco would only grow to the size of its tank and be perfectly fine. They also advise that you keep the bettas in those tiny cups their whole lives

Epsom salt will do nothing for Ich or fungus, it's only use is for bloated. Unscented epsom salt is the only type safe for fish use.
I would get a general Ich cure, I'm not sure all are pleco safe, but just to be sure it's ich, can you post a picture?
I can try to get one when I get home. I’m out getting the ich cure now

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Feeding 2 times a week ?
Yeah, she’s pretty picky. I usually feed her on tuesdays and Sunday’s, I’m mostly trying to figure out what she likes. So far she has nibbles on summer squash and taken a pea or two here and there, but she’s still stubborn

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, she’s pretty picky. I usually feed her on tuesdays and Sunday’s, I’m mostly trying to figure out what she likes. So far she has nibbles on summer squash and taken a pea or two here and there, but she’s still stubborn
Could it be it is like mine almost totally carnivorious? Mine will almost NEVER eat vegs . Fish can't be stubborn

Paper Spiders

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just lost my baby BN pleco to ich. Very frustrating.

I dosed the tank with a 50% dose of Malachite Green (I also had kulhi's in the tank) and the ich went away immediately. I dosed it for a week, with a day of 'rest' in between to be safe.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
We really need a picture of your fish. Light colored splotches doesn't sound like ich to me. My common pleco would occasionally lose its color for a short time. That is what I am visualizing from your description. He would look splotchy. It wasn't a disease so adding medications would have been very detrimental to his health.

Ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt. Is that what you are seeing?

OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
AEBFC256-7A9E-46A9-B299-F17838F2F0B5.jpeg
We really need a picture of your fish. Light colored splotches doesn't sound like ich to me. My common pleco would occasionally lose its color for a short time. That is what I am visualizing from your description. He would look splotchy. It wasn't a disease so adding medications would have been very detrimental to his health.

Ich looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt. Is that what you are seeing?
Yes, bright white and all over her back. I have a picture of her originally but I can’t get one now, she’s hiding under the driftwood in the tank and I don’t want to disturb her. Up there that’s what she looks like normally

38E62FF4-C9D4-4EF9-9915-52D3F58E2892.jpeg
I managed to get a picture of her

brineshrimp, tubifex, bloodworms, daphnia, blackworms, etc etc....

Please place a pic of your fish.
Thank you! I will definitely be sure to get the other things she needs from me. I got her as a bonus with my baby clown pleco since the shopkeeper caught her by mistake and couldn’t get her back in the tank. The baby clown unfortunately passed away after an accident where the driftwood fell on him, but Queenie lived just fine

Last edited by a moderator:

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
View attachment 506660
Yes, bright white and all over her back. I have a picture of her originally but I can’t get one now, she’s hiding under the driftwood in the tank and I don’t want to disturb her. Up there that’s what she looks like normally
She is a beautiful little girl but we really need to see what she looks like now. Are you seeing any tiny while sprinkles that look like salt on her fins? That is usually where ich first starts showing up.

Great picture: That isn't ich. It is very possible that it is ammonia burns. How often do you do water changes and how much do you change each time?

OP
Pukkafish

Pukkafish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
She is a beautiful little girl but we really need to see what she looks like now. Are you seeing any tiny while sprinkles that look like salt on her fins? That is usually where ich first starts showing up.

Great picture: That isn't ich. It is very possible that it is ammonia burns. How often do you do water changes and how much do you change each time?
Oh, that’s good! Luckily the treatment I started is only a store bought essential oil mix so I don’t think it’ll be too bad for her. Since I have a space heater in my room where the tank is and I keep the room pretty warm it evaporates over the weekend. About 12% I would say, and I refill it when I get home. With dechlorinated tap water. My test strips don’t show ammonia but they do show alkalinity.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you cycle this tank before you put her in there? Since you don't have a test to check the ammonia levels you can't know what it is.

It is possible that the water is too warm for her and since you said the water evaporated enough to prevent the filter from working correctly. Warm water will evaporate quicker than cooler water. Do you have a thermometer to help keep an eye on the temp of the water?

If I were you I would do a 50% water change today and another one tomorrow. I have to think the ammonia is high and if not diluted with water changes she is not going to get better no matter what medications you add.

Until you are certain that this tank is cycled you need to be doing at least a 50% water change every few days. Plecos are messy fish and they produce a lot of waste. That waste form ammonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Weekly

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 22 17.6%

Top Bottom