Urgent, Please tell me how to help my fish.

rozequarts

Reaction score
I have had a 10 g tank with water filtering before I got the fish for about a month. I added in flakes and stability formula to establish bacteria. When I went to the petstore they told me I actually had too much good bacteria, I did a 20% water change as advised and then went and got my fish (3 mollies) the next day. My fish seemed fine (eating and playing) aside from the new environment stress, pacing up and down.

I did buy water test strips and realized my nitrate and nitrite levels were too high, so I decided to change some of the water again today. I also changed the filter. And made sure the water reached to the mouth of the filter.

After the water change they swam around and seemed good.

30 minutes after the water change I notice 2 are laying at the bottom of the tank, breathing slowly, and 1 is nestled on a leaf decoration that happens to be near the top, but the same barely moving stature as the others. I was worried and then read that they could be resting. But it has been this way for almost 2 hours and they just seem as if they are too still.

I moved my dalmatian molly into a small hospital tank, it panicked for a few moments, and then proceeded to sit still again. It has no red gills or fins as far as I can tell.

What is going on?

Attachments

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have your filter cartrige? You threw out lots of bacteria.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm also new to this, but I've done a lot of reading, and I've never seen anything about "too much good bacteria." Hopefully someone with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that's a thing.

Also, as FinalFins said, if you change out your filter cartridge you throw away a lot of your beneficial bacteria.

AverageDewdrop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with the first two. If you can try to get an API master kit :) it's very accurate. Are you conditioning the new water you put back in?

rozequarts

Reaction score
AverageDewdrop said:
I agree with the first two. If you can try to get an API master kit :) it's very accurate. Are you conditioning the new water you put back in?
Yes with stability, its supposed to establish good bacteria in new water.

FinalFins said:
Do you happen to have your filter cartrige? You threw out lots of bacteria.
I threw it out. But I thought the water would be okay because the conditioner itself has bacteria in it. Could that really be why the fish are doing this?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
rozequarts said:
...because the conditioner itself has bacteria in it.
It does?

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unfortunately like most of us including me 1 1/2 months ago just starting out, we listen to LPS employees who we believe know what they are talking about. Listen to these good people here. They will get you on the right track.
Your good bacteria was in the cartridge you threw away. Even when it is clogged, you only have to rinse it in old tank water. Once it does get to the point to be replaced, you install the new cartridge, but cut the old one up and put it in the filter overflow so the bacteria is saved and establishes on the new cartridge.

AverageDewdrop

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Derp -face palm- it didn't even cross my mind it's one those nights lol!

I'm not sure on adding it in and it staying cycled since cycling can take time even with added bacteria from my understanding. Someone with better knowledge would be able to answer better but I do know, which I am planning to do to my 55 gallon and 3 other running tanks. Is adding extra stuff in the filter so whenever you change it, the tank will stay cycled. Bc a lot of bb like to stick to your cartriges :) there's more info / in depth and on how to do so in the equipment section! Really neat

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Please read up here about the Nitrogen Cycle and how to maintain it. There are several good sticky posts about it here.

Aquarium Co-op and KG Tropicals have some pretty decent Youtube videos on the subject if you prefer videos.

The second thing here is that often new fish come to us sick. The stress of moving them to a new home coupled with preexisting sickness can really do a job on them... Sort of like if you had to move everything you own to another state and you had the flu at the same time....

Please check out KG Tropicals and Aquarium Co-op's videos on quarantining new fish as well... They have some good recommendations and information about this.

ShimmeryLuna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Seachem Stability does not detoxify water for fish tanks. It only adds beneficial bacteria. You need to be using something like Seachem Prime to remove Chlorine and Chloramine, and detoxify Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. If Seachem Stability is the only thing you've been using, that is why your fish is sick. Seachem Stability is not a water conditioner.

You can never have too much beneficial bacteria, don't trust pet store employees, and invest in an API master test kit to get a more accurate understanding of your tank.

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ShimmeryLuna said:
Seachem Stability does not detoxify water for fish tanks. It only adds beneficial bacteria. You need to be using something like Seachem Prime to remove Chlorine and Chloramine, and detoxify Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. If Seachem Stability is the only thing you've been using, that is why your fish is sick. Seachem Stability is not a water conditioner.

You can never have too much beneficial bacteria, don't trust pet store employees, and invest in an API master test kit to get a more accurate understanding of your tank.
Agree 100%! That’s what I was trying to explain earlier about pet shops. Also when I said water conditioner!!!! You need to be using a product that removes chlorine! Most use and trust prime.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How would they even know you had too much bacteria.? No such thing.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rozequarts said:
I have had a 10 g tank with water filtering before I got the fish for about a month. I added in flakes and stability formula to establish bacteria. When I went to the petstore they told me I actually had too much good bacteria, I did a 20% water change as advised and then went and got my fish (3 mollies) the next day. My fish seemed fine (eating and playing) aside from the new environment stress, pacing up and down.

I did buy water test strips and realized my nitrate and nitrite levels were too high, so I decided to change some of the water again today. I also changed the filter. And made sure the water reached to the mouth of the filter.

After the water change they swam around and seemed good.

30 minutes after the water change I notice 2 are laying at the bottom of the tank, breathing slowly, and 1 is nestled on a leaf decoration that happens to be near the top, but the same barely moving stature as the others. I was worried and then read that they could be resting. But it has been this way for almost 2 hours and they just seem as if they are too still.

I moved my dalmatian molly into a small hospital tank, it panicked for a few moments, and then proceeded to sit still again. It has no red gills or fins as far as I can tell.

What is going on?
Is the water you use in your tank untreated well water or city water? Are you using a dechlorinator to treat the water before you put it in your tank?
What was your nitrate and nitrite levels (numbers) before you did the water change?

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This may be an odd question but, are you adding the water treatment in a separate bucket before adding water into the tank? That way your fish and bacteria never come into contact with chlorine?

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Like mentioned above. Seachem Stability is not a conditioner. If that's all you're adding to the water that's most likely your problem.

rozequarts

Reaction score
Y
ShimmeryLuna said:

[/QUOTE

OH no i feel so stupid. I should have not trusted his opinion alone. I have only some betta fish tank prep solution, its more dilute so I will add doses in right now.

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rozequarts said:
rozequarts, if you don't use untreated well water in your tanks, chlorine and/or chloramine added by your local water supplier will make your fish sick as easily as ammonia and nitrites do. You need to treat all tap water you put in your fish tank with a "dechlorinator". Seachem Stability is just a bottle of bacteria, it does not remove chlorine or chloramine. Seachem Prime ...does.
20191023_111351.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom