URGENT - please help! Important

1. celizabethh3 Member Member

I posted a thread on here about a week ago with no responses so I am posting another one. MODS, please feel free to merge threads!

I believe that I am dealing with a case of parasites in my 36 gallon tank. I first noticed that my female platy was scratching, soon followed by one of my young zebra danios. Looking this morning, she has lost a noticeable amount of weight and appears narrow. Another one of my platys has stringy poo (which may or may not be related.)

I have corys in the tank and have never experienced anything like this before so I am unsure on how to treat the tank. Is ParaGuard safe for use with corys? Is there another alternative? Please, please help because I'm afraid it will spread throughout the tank.

2. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

3. celizabethh3 Member Member

How do I dose the tank? Is it put directly into the water? Do I need to remove the carbon from my filter? Thanks for replying so quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

If your fish are losing weight and having stringy poo it sounds internal.

Paraguard I believe is only for external infections but someone else please confirm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. celizabethh3 Member Member

poeticinjustices I wasn't sure if it was for internal or external. What would you recommend I use otherwise? I can get Melafix or Pimafix but I have no idea how to use them. Also, I have a high pH (8.2) and I'm afraid that it will make the treatment more toxic. I'm stressing out to the max right now. :/

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I know pimafix/melafix are not for internal infection either.

I knows meds for internal infection are best delivered by food but water column treatment is used if the fish will not eat.

Meds that can be delivered in the food vary. I know very little about dewormers but I just read that Levamisole can be given in food. Umm I think metronidazole works too but not sure about food.

The only med I have ever given in food is Kanamycin and I can tell you that it is more effective at higher pH values used in the water column.

Unfortunately this is not an area I know a lot about and I hope that someone else can shed a little more light on this issue.

I feel your stress and am sorry I can't be of more help :(

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

8. millca Member Member

Does your fish's spine look at all bent or curved? This could also be fish TB which I've found out recently (yesterday) is quite common in most tanks. Search in the disease section of this forum for recent posts about fish TB. There have been several videos uploaded yesterday that show several different fish who are suffering from TB. Only treatment is to remove them and euthanize. Just had to put one of my danios down last night.

If you can take a video of your sick fish and post it on here, we might be able to help you diagnose better. I hope it isn't TB. But my fish also stopped eating, lost a lot of weight, looked gaunt (very narrow) and his back looked more curved than the other danios. I don't recall him scratching against things so you might have something else going on. I just keyed into the lost weight and looks really narrow aspect of the symptoms.

9. celizabethh3 Member Member

@poeticinjustices I honestly appreciate all of your help. I have no experience when it comes to medicating fish and I'm honestly panicking.

@Rivieraneo Thank you for posting those links! I am in Canada but I will take a look at those products and hope they can ship to my area. They eat flake food most of the time, mixed in with some shrimp pellets so I don't believe medicated flakes will be a problem for them. Which food would you recommend for this sort of problem? I do believe it is an internal parasite. I noticed on my red wag that she is missing some scales. I don't know if she scrapped against a plant or decoration but I'm going to assume it's connected to the other issues I have been having.

@millca I do not believe that it is fish TB. Based on the symptoms I have been noticing, I would think it's an internal parasite but I don't have any experience with these things. I am attaching a video at the end of my response. As mentioned above, I noticed some scales missing on my red wag - it appears as a white patch (although looks much worse in the video because the quality is poor.) It's my Mickey Mouse platy I am most worried about. Her fins appear clamped but there isn't a curved spin that I can tell. She does occasionally swim "nose up" when she slows down.

I will be going to my LFS tomorrow and picking up anything that is recommended and I'm also going to take a look at the flakes that Riv sent links too. I just want to make sure everyone survives and my tank goes back to a healthy point again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTXOBXy_YKI&feature=youtu.be

10. celizabethh3 Member Member

Good news, Peabody's will ship to me! I'm almost tempted to buy all of their medicated products just to have on hand.

Rivieraneo Which food would you recommend given the symptoms? I will be ordering first thing in the morning. Should I pick anything up in the meantime until it arrives? Thanks for your help.

11. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Heya, unfortunately we can't ship medications to Canada due to legal restrictions. There's a potential for fines and penalties as well as getting the shipment seized, so your best bet is to find something there.

12. celizabethh3 Member Member

Thank you! I did try ordering but I got the message back on Paypal saying you couldn't.

I'm going to my LFS now and I'll pick up some metronidazole and/or kanamycin. Would you recommend this for what I've been experiencing in my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I think paraguard or metro would be good to try. Kanamycin is effective primarily against gram negative bacteria so it may not help if the issue is a parasite.

14. celizabethh3 Member Member

Thank you. :) I just bought a bottle of metro and I think I'm going to give that a try first. I wish Canada had a medicated food supplier like yours but fingers crossed that this is enough.

15. Stuart42 Member Member

celizabethh3,

AngelFins in Guelph Ontario sells medicated food. Here is the link to their medicated food page

http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_28261

They currently supply 3 oz pakages of medicated flakes (less then 10 dollars each which is quite reasonable since my standard flake container 1.5 oz cost me $9.00) . Medicine include Kanamycin sulfate, Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride,Antiprotozoan flake with metronidazole, and 3 styles of deworming flake (fenbendazole, praziquantel or levamisole)

I have ordered their levamisole on a Monday after 5:00 PM and had it arrive by standard mail on Wednesday.

Angel Fins also has a store front but hours are quite limited (see home page for hours)

16. celizabethh3 Member Member

Stuart42 Thanks for the link! I was just about to browse their website and make a purchase. What would you recommend given the symptoms my fish have been exhibiting? I'll likely buy more than one type of food but I'd like to have the best possible ones for whatever I'm up against. :)

17. Stuart42 Member Member

Celizabethh3, from what I have read levamisole is what i would go with for unidentified internal parasites. You mentioned your platy scratching. If it was the gill area you may have gill flukes then you might want to go with the praziquantel as it also treats for gill flukes.

18. celizabethh3 Member Member

I never even considered gill flukes. My Mickey Mouse girl scratches a lot and has lost quite a bit of weight. Her and my twinbar frequently hide behind the plants or hover near the surface (but are not gasping) and my twinbar also has long stringy/clear poo. They both have clamped fins. I'm trying to research fish diseases I didn't even know about but I haven't found anything that fits their symptoms to a tee yet so I'm wondering if it's more than one issue. :/

Edit - just purchased both medications that you suggested Stuart42 . I have Metro+ (Hikari/Aquarium Solutions brand) and ParaGuard on hand in the meantime because my order isn't expected to arrive until Wednesday.

I'll continue to post with any progress or worsening of condition. Quick question, how long do I feed the flakes for? Since I will have two types (leva and prazi) do I give one in the morning, one at night?

19. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Levamisole is getting increasingly harder to get here, so I don't know how it is there. For flukes prazipro or some other praziquantel med works great and doesn't seem to be hard on them.

20. celizabethh3 Member Member

I have levamisole flakes coming with my praziquantel flakes hopefully before Wednesday. I think praziquantel is going to be my best bet so fingers crossed! Thanks for all the help everyone! :)