Urgent Please Help Me. I'm Sat Here In Tears

Kittysparks

Please help me. This is jill. I've been treating for parasites it's in previous threads. She has only just started eating again. This has just happened. What the **** is happening?

I've asked before whether I should put her out of her misery I can't just sit here and watch this anymore some one please help me. Her stomach is falling out.

Kittysparks

They are fine. 0.0 ammonia 0.0 nitrites 0.40 nitrates, nitrates in my tap water cannot get it down.

Been treating with worming. She is in a at tank.

Waterchange 2 days ago, 30%, cannot change for a week as medicating

Dave125g

Oh the poor girl, that's gotta be tough to watch. I'm so sorry for this. I would euthanize.

Kittysparks

Dave125g

That's said to be the most humane way, but I do it differently.

Fanatic

Aw, I'm sorry about your girl.

I agree with Dave, you should just euthanize.

allikaitor

That's said to be the most humane way, but I do it differently.

How do you do it? Just curious as I'm new to this forum and have had to euthanize fish in the past without clove oil.

Fashooga

You get some clove oil at the store and put a few drops in the water. It suppose to put them to sleep and the body will shut down I believe.

There are a number of ways to euthanize but this is the most human.

BGK Unlimited

I don't have that much knowledge but as soon I saw parasite symptoms to my fish I use methylene blue to prevent them from multiplying so as treating the fish...
Poor girl

Dave125g

How do you do it? Just curious as I'm new to this forum and have had to euthanize fish in the past without clove oil.
I just take a sharp pair of scissors and snip the head right behind the gills.

I don't have that much knowledge but as soon I saw parasite symptoms to my fish I use methylene blue to prevent them from multiplying so as treating the fish...
Poor girl
I thought that was an antifungul?

ashenwelt

Too me that looks more like cancer. I am sorry you are going through this.

A humane way is to put her in a bowl of tank water. Then slowly add ice cubes. Then slowly keep adding more and more ice cubes. It should cause her to slowly stop moving and go to sleep... and end. I have had to do this too many times over the years.

Clove oil is supposed to be better... but it breaks my heart to keep any on hand.

Dave125g

Too me that looks more like cancer. I am sorry you are going through this.

A humane way is to put her in a bowl of tank water. Then slowly add ice cubes. Then slowly keep adding more and more ice cubes. It should cause her to slowly stop moving and go to sleep... and end. I have had to do this too many times over the years.

Clove oil is supposed to be better... but it breaks my heart to keep any on hand.
Ice is not a good idea. I tried that once and the fish just started flipping out.

ashenwelt

Ice is not a good idea. I tried that once and the fish just started flipping out.
You don't put the ice on the fish, then they freak... Done it for 40 years sadly. Clove is best tho.

Oh and the process for Ice is not a few minutes. Your looking at 30 minutes to an hour. So it is very heart wrenching. You go SLOW.

Betta Great Granny

My deepest sympathy, I just got my first Betta and I know how I would feel. Hang in there.

Over It

I have found in an emergency, when I didn't have clove oil, a cup full of ice and a little bit of water works very quickly to euthanize a tropical fish (not Bettas). I used a little cup put in a few ice cubes and little bit of water. Then I waited for the water to get as cold as it possibly could (you can use as much ice as you need for this) Then I gently netted said fish and placed them in the cup with the ice water. It took literally no more than 2 seconds max and they were gone. I figure at least it's very, very quick. I also leave them be for a few minutes just to make sure.

JesseMoreira06

how in the world do you find the courage to do this? I would never be able , I would feel way to bad.

To the OP I don't agree with the ice or cold water way because ice crystals can build up in the muscles and cause extreme pain before unconsciousness occurs especially for larger fish, They only recommend doing the freezing water for fish under 2" and even at that it's not really recommended.

The best way is clove oil by far!!

BGK Unlimited

I thought that was an antifungul?
Also has anti-parasitic ability..

BeanFish

Adding ice is like medieval torture to kill a fish. Clove oil is good, peaceful and easy. Some people may view chopping a fish´s head off with scissors as barbaric and I don't think it would leave good last memories of your fish lol but I don't see a problem with it.

Kasshan

Ziploc with no water. instantly frozen. anyway
how did this occur? did the prolapse happen before or after you medicated? what were trying to medicate for specifically. some more details can help diagnose what could've possibly happened.

Over It

Adding ice is like medieval torture to kill a fish
I agree. I honestly don't like the ice in a cup method either, but I figured it was a better suggestion than adding ice slowly. I've also read that Cutting their spinal cord or "chopping a fishes head off" can be quite humane, but I would think you'd have to be extremely quick and precise. What if your aI'm is off?

petlowe

I agree. I honestly don't like the ice in a cup method either, but I figured it was a better suggestion than adding ice slowly. I've also read that Cutting their spinal cord or "chopping a fishes head off" can be quite humane, but I would think you'd have to be extremely quick and precise. What if your aI'm is off?

Spinal cord then cavitation of the brain aka knife tip or pick but not in line of sight or same room with other fishies is the scientific kill method.

Kittysparks

HI all.
Thank you for your suggestions. I euthanised her using the clove oil method. It broke my heart I sobbed the whole time. I said a prayer asking for gods forgiveness. My partner dug a hole in our garden under the tree and we buried her and placed a heavy flower planter over her spot. I then crawled into my bed and cried for a good half hour.
It's the first time I've ever killed anything and it's hitting me hard. Being pregnant doesn't help with my emotions I'm sure.
I feel guilt, I feel like I should have acted sooner, I feel I participated in her suffering.
It's my first fishy loss and I don't care if people think I'm over reacting she was part of my family and I'm very upset she has been suffering.

RIP Jill, I'm sorry I didn't do better.

Over It

I'm very sorry for your loss. I think what you are feeling is perfectly normal. I remember the the first time I had to euthanize a fish I felt like a monster so to speak. It is extremely difficult to make that decision and then follow through with it. The way I think about it is, they are our responsibility. We decided to get them and keep them and care for them to the best of our abilities. Unfortunately sometimes we can't save them and then the most humane thing you can do is end their suffering as quickly and painlessly as possible.
I'm sure you knew her the best of anyone and you made the right decision for her, no matter how hard it was to make.
I also wanted to add that there is nothing wrong in waiting till you are sure that there is nothing else you can do for them and you are sure that euthanizing them is the best route to take. It's hard to know when it's time as you don't want to feel that you could have done more, but at the same time you don't want to feel you acted to quickly. It's never easy, but feel better in knowing you tried your best to help her and care for her till the very last second and that's all we can do.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishiekk
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
GuppyFanatic
Replies
Views