URGENT! Phlox very ill!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He is lying on his side and has developed a dark patch of skin on his underside! I remember reading about this somewhere but can't find it now. Anyone know what this is?? He's being treated with Triple Sulpha now but I fear it may be too late! :'(

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry to hear that. Could it be some sort of bacterial infection? I don't know anything about triple sulfa but if it treats bacterial stuff then it should be good (it's a pretty strong med right?).

Well, I'm not positive it's a bacterial infection but that's my best guess. I hope he gets better soon.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll check those links out. He definitely has some sort of raging bacterial infection. He is in a lot of pain. He barely has the strength to go to the top for air.  :'( I hope he makes it through the day. I just gave him the Triple sulfa which is a very strong antibiotic. I have medicated antibiotic food for him too but he cannot go to the surface and stay there long enough to eat. I dropped a piece of pea near him and he watched it float down. He wriggled over to it and ate it so at least he still has an appetite. He's in the hospital tank with clean warm water (85F) and it's not as long a trip to the top as the ten gallon. I just can't believe how much worse he is today than yesterday. Yesterday I still thought it was just constipation and swim bladder. I wish I had started the Triple Sulfa days ago! I'm so angry at myself! If he dies it will be my fault. I haven't slept in two days and I doubt I'll be sleeping at all this weekend. I wish I could bear the pain for him so he wouldn't have to...

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope he gets better soon, sorry about that, I know how it feels when you can't help your fish. :-X

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Don't blame yourself Phloxface. This is a tough case w/o an easy answer. You're doing the best you can. I commend you for it and wish you and Phlox the best.

Mike

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was just reading through the diseases forum on this board and one girl seems to be having the same problem with her Betta as I am having with Phlox.

She posted a pic of her Betta lying on his side and that is EXACTLY what Phlox has been doing. All the symptoms she described sound exactly like Phlox. He lies around on his side looking for all the world like he has died and I can barely see his gills moving and suddenly he'll leap up and swim quickly to the top, get air and then sink back down and collapse onto his side like he just died. His belly barely looks bloated anymore. He's been fasting for two days and has eaten some pea this morning. Unlike her Betta though Phlox has always been kept in 82 degree water. His tank parameters are excellent Ammonia=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=10, Ph=7.3
Her Betta seems to be recovering so I HOPE Phlox can too. At any rate he needs the Triple Sulfa since he has developed a bad case of fin rot now due to the lying and scooting around on the bottom of the tank and the stress of being sick. He finally grew a beautiful tail back after his bout with fin rot 6 months ago and now his fringes are rotting away again.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry that this is happening, and I will admit that the problems your little fish are having are not something I am familiar with  but with respect to the coloration change on his abdomen I found the following in A-Z Tropical Fish Diseases and Health Problems by Burgess, Bailey and Exell:

It may give a clue to the health status or behavior of the fish and dark or sometimes light coloration of the fish can indicate stress or disease.
If dark coloration is associated with nervousness, loose scales, or frayed fins it may indicate aggression.

If dark coloration is associated with glazed eyes and uncontrolled swimming it may be a sign of poisoning of an acute nature.

To indicate particular body problems:

Dark patches on particular parts of the body can indicate burns.

Gray coloration can indicate excess mucus buildup and will indicate a parasite or skin problem.

A yellowish cast can indicate Velvet.

Reddened areas indicate some parasitic infestations, acidosis, or alkalosis (pH problems) or ammonia problems, internal inflammation or hemorrhage,  or bacterial or viral infection

Excessive red coloration of the abdomen is a sign of dropsy and other bacterial or viral infections

Whitish or pale coloration of the fins is indicative of bacterial fin rot.

Complete body darkening is an indication of blindness in a fish as they darken at night when they believe the normal light source is lowered.  It is their attempt to blend in with the environment.

Abnormally darkened areas are a common sign of stress but may indicate disease.

Abnormal or darkened coloration accompanied coloration accompanied by loss of balance, erratic swimming, respiratory distress, glazed eyes is usually indicative of poisoning, pH problems or oxygen starvation  They will exhibit slow degeneration of the central nervous system and loss of control of the color changing ability.

A lessened cause can be Tumor, Injuries and localized bacterial infections.

I know this is long and drawn out but the most comprehensive thing I could find out and I am hoping something will sound familiar

Like I said I am so sorry that You and Phlox are going through this.

Rose
:'(

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Phloxface,
I am so sorry to hear that Phlox is having problems. I certainly hope that he recovers. You are doing all you can and that is all anyone can do. We are all pulling for you and Phlox.

That is excellent information, Rose. As usual you are right on top of things.

CherryRose

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose, thanks for the list of diseases. There isn't any one thing that is entirely familar. Phlox's condition seems to be mystifying. It seems like many different things. I'm almost positive it's not dropsy since his swelling went down and his scales are not raised.
The dark coloring on his belly has faded a little but he does have grayish patches on his head. This morning he could barely make it to the surface for air but this evening he seems slightly better. He is still laying around resting and not swimming at all but he has momentary bursts of energy where he goes to the surface for air. He seems to be doing that easier than this morning. He has made a patch of java fern his bed and is resting propped up inside the bunch of leaves. He still seems sleepy and sick but maybe, hopefully, the meds are starting to take effect. I've left his light off so he can get as much rest as he needs. He still has two lumps on either side of his belly which could be constipation but hopefully continuing with fasting and peas will fix that. It has gone down a lot. I think the constipation is only one problem and also some sort of bacterial infection (maybe caused by the constipation?). The only other fish I've had that's ever been this sick was Karma and I thought she was going to die but meds saved her. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but Phlox does seem a little more comfortable now that he is getting Triple Sulfa. That stuff is EXPENSIVE ($25 for ten packets) but if it helps him it's worth it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here are some more reasonable places to pick it up if you ever need it in the future.

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry about Phlox. I do hope that he recovers. If Royell can make a recovery, then I'm sure Phlox can. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am very sorry you have to go through this. Nothing that is happening is your fault so don't blame yourself for it. I hope Phlox gets better soon.

Did you say you have medicated food? Your Bettas hand feed right? If there is anything that floats that you want Phlox to eat, you could try hand feeding it to him underwater, if it works. That way he wouldn't have to swim to the surface to get it, you could bring it down to him. Also, I know that some flakes and pellets will sink if they are swished in water long enough. I don't know what that would do to the meds in medicated food though.

Hmm you said he has grayish patches on the head...my Cories had something like that too, though without the bloating and redness. I treated it successfully with Melafix, which obviously you can't do and what you're using now is stronger anyway, but the fact that Melafix cured it would indicate that it is in fact bacterial.(I think, right?) Do you think you could post a picture of Phlox?

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
He seemed slightly better this afternoon but now seems worse again.  I tried feeding him some pea just a few minutes ago and he wouldn't take it. I held it right in front of him as he lay there. He just looked at it.
I'm afraid of stressing him by taking pics. His color is so washed out and pale. He looks very gray all over. A sure sign of sickness and stress. I'm just not sure he will make it. All I can do is pray.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's 4:30 am and I am still up worrying about Phlox. I haven't slept since Thurs afternoon. Phlox is getting worse. I found him lying on the bottom, upside down on his back. He's gasping for air.  :'( I don't know how much longer he can hold on. He's suffering so much. I wish I had the guts to euthanize him but I just can't. I just feel so helpless.  :'( :'( :'(

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know exactly how that feels...I felt the same way when my Guppies and Platys were all dying of TB... :'(

You did everything you could for him and I am so sorry for your loss. :'( Just try to see the brighter side...there was not anything else you could have possibly done to help him so at least he is out of his pain. I hope you are doing all right and can get some sleep tonight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom