Urgent Need Of Help (finrot) Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by sarahahsfish, Apr 15, 2018.

1. s

sarahahsfish New Member Member

Hi, all. My betta has a case of finrot and it’s not getting any better with water changes every day.

Tank size: 5 gallons
    Water conditioner: prime
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10-20 (I really need to bring these down, I think, could this be the cause of her not getting any better?)
    pH: 7.0
    Decorations: live plants (took them out when treating her with Jungle Fungus Clear), and glass jar, Moss ball
    Heater, filter: yes to both (no carbon in filter, only the sponge-y part, hopefully you know what I mean); temp at 25°C
    Supplements: garlic guard and vita-chem

I’ll include some pictures as well. I’ve never seen finrot with the fin falling off in clumps before. For example, the top fin as you can see right now is white and fuzzy. After a time it just falls off in a chunk, and that’s what confuses me because her bottom fins aren’t falling off that way, they’re melting(?) I think. 785d0344ef740d1966e918cd30511c77.jpg
    173622c37c333891bcf0a9b1ec1a9195.jpg
    She isn’t sluggish or anything as of right now, in fact she’s active like usual and she’s eating like usual as well (2 pellets). I’m not so sure but maybe if I scrub off the algae then she’ll improve. I didn’t think algae are harmful to fish and I didn’t really attempt to scrub it off because they’re a pain to do so (they’re really stuck on there, even with a toothbrush they barely come off).

If anything I mentioned is unclear or if you have any questions please ask them! I am in desperate need of help right now. I thought cleaning every day would work but I guess not!

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Oh no! Poor girl. :( What a cutie.
    But that's beyond water changes, I'm afraid. Way beyond salt, before someone asks.

Needs to be put into 1-2 gallon bare tank and dosed with either M Blue or Betta Revive for a few days, and daily WC after that until the poor girl is looking better. Small tank may feel like the opposite of what the guides suggest, but it is exactly to limit movement so she can't shred fragile new fins. You don't go play soccer with a broken leg.

Old tank needs to pristine when she's ready to come back home, and she will be A-OK. Since it's a female, won't take too long. ;) Tbh not looking too bad for a female, but since it's persistent, it's easier to just treat properly instead of giving yourself a headache.

PS: if you want a great tank algae scrubber to get into those tricky places, I recommend a brand called a nirate snail.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Are fin rot accelerating or has it stopped in the last five days might want to quartine in a seprete tank until better as it might be the water how much water are you changing everyday I suggest 75 or 100% water changes

4. OP
    OP
    s

Thank you for your quick response! I was planning on moving her into a smaller tank but was hesitant because I thought it'd be a bad idea. I'll be doing that after school! Betta revive has a blue color, no? Because if so I'm certain I have some that remain unused.

Also, in the picture the fuzz almost reaches her body... I'm really scared that it'll get worse and unfortunately turn into body rot before the medicine works. Any thoughts on that?

Note: also thank you for that suggestion! I'll look into it.

Yes, I'll be moving her into a smaller, bare tank today. As of right now I'm changing about 25-30% every day. Might do a little more every day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't 100% water changes not recommended because it's too much for a fish to handle, especially if it's every day?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  5. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Yes sorry

6. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

Your nitrates aren't doing anything wrong. 10-20 is perfect, it wont affect her growth. You should treat with medication like Methylene Blue bath. In a separated container you put the medication and some old water from her tank, put the fish and leave her for 15 approx. then you move her back to her aquarium. You can do a bath every two days not to stress her too much. Methylene blue is a safe medication to start with, and bettas aren't are sensitive to it as they can be with salt, which is not always recommended for bettas.

7. tunafax

Betta revive is the blue one. :) It contains M Blue so you don't need to buy anything - just don't overdose because it also contains M Green.

50% WC will be enough, 100% will stress him too much. I was never sold on doing fish baths/dips, but @WanhiBetta has a solid suggestion.

8. WanhiBetta

I think betta revive must be less concentrated since it's not only methylene blue, thats why I suggested methylene blue directly but Betta Revive could do it also!

9. tunafax

You're right. :) Betta Revive is actually very overpriced 2ml of 1/4 concentrate of meth blue, a tiny bit of (measured) malachite green, and also magic.
    Like, it almost literally revived my lethargic betta and my lethargic goldfish. I kinda suspect there is fish caffeine in there or something. I've had great experience with it tbh.

10. OP
    OP
    s

Okay, I'll try that starting today. When I'm putting her back into the tank after the 15 minutes are up, can I use a cup to scoop her back up, along with the medicated water and put her and the water in the cup back into her tank? Because I'm not really fond of using a net to take her out.

11. OP
    OP
    s

Like you suggested yesterday, I've put her into a smaller tank temporarily, and I've scrubbed all the algae off of her usual tank. The tank is not 1–2 gallons but I think it's okay for a quarantine tank. Also her filter and heater are also placed in the temporary tank as well. She's eating and pooping fine, and she's active like usual. Thank goodness, I was so worried the entire night because I thought it stressed her out a lot.

Anyways, with betta revive, I'm not exactly sure how much to put in? The only container I have is a bucket, and I don't know how big it is. On the package it says 1 drop for every 16 fluid ounces, no? I don't want to overdose, of course, but I also don't want to add less than needed. How should I go on to solve this problem?

12. WanhiBetta

I would be careful with putting some methylene blue/betta revive directly in the tank. It can sometimes kill your cycle, and can put permanent blue spots om everything as it is a dye.

13. tunafax

Hm. Maybe scoop something you know he volume of? Or google your bucket?

One thing to be careful about though is that heater. It will heat a smaller space a lot quicker than a large space, and can overheat so keep your eye on that. Also, dollar tree sells plastic shoe boxes for 1 dollar. That would be good enough.

14. OP
    OP
    s

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, too. I'm in a pickle.

15. OP
    OP
    s

I'll do just that. Thank you.

16. WanhiBetta

Keep an eye on your parameters particularly for the ammonia that will build up in a container!

17. OP
    OP
    s

Sounds good! I might be back with more questions later on today or tomorrow, if you don't mind

18. WanhiBetta

No problems!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice