Urgent! Need Betta Help

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta has been acting a bit odd recently. He used to come up to the tank when I came in the room and when I would feed him, but now he’s hiding a lot. He’s hiding in the leaves and caves, and seems to get startled by almost nothing. He’s still eating and recently built a bubble nest. He’s in a 2.5 gallon heated tank. I also noticed his one eye is slightly bulged out more. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m hoping it’s not the start of popeye. Any advice would be super appreciated!! I know I post a lot of questions, but I want optimal care for my little Nightshade He’s usually super active, exploring every inch of the tank, but now he just hides and sits in one place for a while.

Attachments

Crafty Cichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Answering these questions will help the community diagnose your fish's problems, and offer solutions:
  1. What type of filter is in the tank?
  2. What is the temperature of the water?
  3. How often do you change the water?
    1. How much of the water do you change?
  4. Do you have a test kit?
    1. What are your water parameters?

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crafty Cichlid said:
Answering these questions will help the community diagnose your fish's problems, and offer solutions:
  1. What type of filter is in the tank?
  2. What is the temperature of the water?
  3. How often do you change the water?
    1. How much of the water do you change?
  4. Do you have a test kit?
    1. What are your water parameters?
There is no filter in the tank right now. The temperature is kept at about 80. I do 50% water changes once a week due to a smaller tank and no filter. I currently don’t have a test kit

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
65CFCADA-C41A-470E-9788-74BCF69A3F20.jpeg
400478FD-EA9C-48DF-B743-5CA30CC8E631.jpeg
FBC6B432-955E-46C6-89EB-EC44479B3936.jpeg
400478FD-EA9C-48DF-B743-5CA30CC8E631.jpeg
I noticed yesterday that my Bettas eyes seemed to be slightly bulged out more. And one of this eyes has this kind of ‘ring’ around it. He’s not acting like himself lately. He’s hiding all the time, doesn’t go for his food right away, and gets easily scared. I’m not sure what to do, but I’m worried I do 50% water changes weekly and he’s in a heated tank. Any advice would be helpful! Sorry for the bad photos, it’s very hard to get a good one when he hides all day.

I should also add that he’s really not swimming, just kinda floats around. I fed him a while ago and he’s stil not touching it

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i know I keep posting things, but my betta is getting worse he’s not eating, hiding, not swimming (just floating in different places), and breathing rapidly. He will get air from the surface and dart away really fast. It looks like he’s developing popeye and I’m going to do a partial water change. Please help This is not normal for him at all.

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Floundering_Around said:
What are the parameters on your tank? (ammonia, nitrites, nitrstes) On that note, is your tank new? cycled? Have you recently cleaned the tank or done anything to it? And how long have you had your betta ?
Sadly, I don’t have a test kit at the moment. My tank is on the newer side, I’ve had him and the tank for two months now. I use water conditioner and put a drop of stress zyme in my tank. I do 50% water changes each week and recently got a gravel vacuum. I also recently changed the decor around (no new decor) and he seemed to like it. Figured it would add some interest.

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is the tank? There's a chance it may not be cycled. Does he have any other symptoms?
If you live near a pet store, they'll do free water tests for you. You should really invest in a test kit, even if it's just the strips it''s better than nothing (although the liquid kit is best)

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wystearya said:
How large (in gallons) is your tank?

Do you have a filter? A heater? What temperature is the tank?
What food are you feeding and how much?
2.5 gallons. No filter, which is why I do such big water changes each week. He was doing fantastic up until now, it all came on suddenly. The temperature is kept between 76-80, I do have a heater. I feed him freeze dried blood worms, daphnia, and Omega One Betta Buffet flakes. I feed him twice a day, once in the morning, the other before bed. I switch up his food between those three things for some variety.

Floundering_Around said:
How big is the tank? There's a chance it may not be cycled. Does he have any other symptoms?
If you live near a pet store, they'll do free water tests for you. You should really invest in a test kit, even if it's just the strips it''s better than nothing (although the liquid kit is best)
The tank is 2.5 gallons. The only symptoms I’ve seen are hiding all day, not eating, floating, rapid breathing, and one eye that seems to be bulging out (popeye??). This all happened suddenly, he was super active just earlier this week. I’m going to purchase a test kit later today.

Floundering_Around

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is the tank (might have missed it if you already said)? You can cut back on the feeding, especially since there is no filter on the tank; any uneaten food and waste wull stay as ammonia rather than be converted

Nightshadethebetta said:
The tank is 2.5 gallons. The only symptoms I’ve seen are hiding all day, not eating, floating, rapid breathing, and one eye that seems to be bulging out (popeye??). This all happened suddenly, he was super active just earlier this week. I’m going to purchase a test kit later today.
You should definitely get a filter too. A good filter for that size tank is the azoo palm HOB filter (it has adjustable flow so your betta won't get blown around)

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Floundering_Around said:
How big is the tank (might have missed it if you already said)? You can cut back on the feeding, especially since there is no filter on the tank; any uneaten food and waste wull stay as ammonia rather than be converted
The tank is 2.5 gallons

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I generally do 100% water changes every 5 days or so in my 2.5 gallon. You might want to consider upping the size/frequency of your water changes until he's better.

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IceFyre1414 said:
I generally do 100% water changes every 5 days or so in my 2.5 gallon. You might want to consider upping the size/frequency of your water changes until he's better.
Thanks, I’ll do that! I just did one today, so I’ll do another in a few more. Hopefully with some more frequent water changes, he will get better.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place.
Please only create one thread per topic as it gets very confusing having multiple threads on the same subject & you may not get the best responses

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Coradee said:
Several threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place.
Please only create one thread per topic as it gets very confusing having multiple threads on the same subject & you may not get the best responses
Sorry about that!!

Nightshadethebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
7698D999-CF3A-4C85-8D32-C86FD659D446.jpeg
So, I invested in a water test kit and these are my results. How can I bring my ammonia levels down? It’s not high, but i know it should be at 0. Large water daily changes? Is this ammonia my problem?

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From those results it looks like the tank isn't cycled. But doing more frequent water changes will bring ammonia down a little.

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As already suggested, do more water changes.
The tank isn't cycled as you've already stated which makes sense since there's no filter. Ammonia is supposed to be 0 (same goes for nitrite). Try to keep the ammonia as close to 0 as possible by carrying out water changes often.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom