Urgent long finned-albino bristlenose catfish not eating!!!

1. Zoeeileen Initiate Member

Hey guys I'm in need of some urgent advice here!!

I added roughly about 2 weeks ago a new member to my 25 gallon, he is a male long finned-albino bristle nose catfish!! He is stunning!! And i'm already very attached to him he wasn't in the best form when I purchased him, so I don't know if he's still upset or sick or whatever but I haven't seen him eat!! I've boiled cucumber for him dropped in algae wafers but no luck in catching him eat. He's very thin :( and has a hollow appearance to his stomach, he is also very shy. I was hoping deep down that he would be eating the things I dropped in for him at night, but when I wake up and check the tank the wafer is untouched. He's constantly latched to the driftwood in my tank which I think is a good thing he must be getting something off the wood!! I'm so worried he's going to get sick and pass or something!! My water parameters are fine no Ammonia etc the temp is at a constant 27 degrees all my other fish are thriving I have no idea what to do for this little fellow!!

Any suggestions? Thank you Zoe :)

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Have you tried Zucchini? Keep trying. Mine love Zucchini. Don't forget to vac out the uneaten wafers.

Hollow stomach isn't a good sign for a Pleco. It means they haven't gotten enough to eat or has been starved. :( he may not make it. Just saying to be prepaired.

I hope he eats soon.

3. Zoeeileen Initiate Member

Yeah I don't know if he'll make it either!! :( For now it's a waiting game... Meanwhile I'll keep trying and and I'll continue to vacuum out the unwanted food!!

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Well you can always try mass presentation. Sink some cucumber, zuchini, carrot, spinach, frozen foods for him and then vaccume out the uneaten the next day or so.

5. plecodragon Well Known Member Member

Maybe try to soak the zuchini or cucumber in garlic juice. It is said to increases appetite in fish and is good for their immune systems. My Bristlenose love zuchini and algae wafers. Good luck with your pleco.

6. Zoeeileen Initiate Member

:( He's so shy I'm going to have to place all the food as close to him as possible!! The worst thing is that he doesn't even make a move toward it!! It's like he's blind!! I will still hope for the best and I will try the garlic thing!! Thanks for the help so far!!