Urgent -- Is this really a SAE?

Shaina

My local Petsmart has a tank full of "Algae Eaters" -- mostly CAEs and about anything that looks somewhat like them. I've been having a hair algae problem starting, and I *think* I found a Siamese Algae Eater...but I'm not sure. The person at the store claimed it was a Flying Fox, but I think she's wrong...anyway it's here now (it was the only one), and is still in it's bag...I'm trying to ID it for sure while acclimating it and before letting it out (those guys are buggers to catch), and need the wisdom of Fish Lore!

oh P.S. I thought it was a SAE based off this site: ... this site was great but is no substitute for having seen the real thing, which I haven't (at least, not for sure).

The best pics I could get in the bag:

105.jpg

106.jpg

Thanks for any and all help!

EDIT: he's about 1.5" long right now, if that helps.

Tom

In all honesty, it doesn't look like any of the SAEs I've seen around here. Sorry, but someone else might come and dissagree with my statement.
Tom

Shawnie

My local Petsmart has a tank full of "Algae Eaters" -- mostly CAEs and about anything that looks somewhat like them. I've been having a hair algae problem starting, and I *think* I found a Siamese Algae Eater...but I'm not sure. The person at the store claimed it was a Flying Fox, but I think she's wrong...anyway it's here now (it was the only one), and is still in it's bag...I'm trying to ID it for sure while acclimating it and before letting it out (those guys are buggers to catch), and need the wisdom of Fish Lore!

oh P.S. I thought it was a SAE based off this site: ... this site was great but is no substitute for having seen the real thing, which I haven't (at least, not for sure).

The best pics I could get in the bag:

105.jpg

106.jpg

Thanks for any and all help!

EDIT: he's about 1.5" long right now, if that helps.
heres my sae see the color going all the way thru his tail? and all the way up to his nose? that's how I tell the difference...IMO its not a SAE

Shaina

Hm, I wonder what he is then? He doesn't really match the descriptions for the Flying Fox...maybe he's a False Siamensis, but he doesn't have the stripe above his black stripe. He's zipping around a tank now, so I don't know if I'll be able to do and barbel-counting, but I'll try.

It washed out in the pics for some reason, but the black actually does go all the way to the end of this tail, though it's not as distinct as Shawnie's, for sure.

Marc

My SAEs look a lot like that.

has some good diagrams. I'd say SAE.

Coryd55

I think SAE as well

Shaina

I'm thinking SAE as well, especially as he gained more color (bagging stress and all that). Few more updated pics...had to add him to the 29 gal a bit earlier than I wanted to, since I had to take down the spare 10 gal (piece of furniture it was on didn't appreciate having an aquarium on it).

Still large, so it's easier to see detail on him:

183.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

Shawnie

I'm changing my views also..its deffinately an SAE ..see how they rest on their tails?? big giveaways...CONGRATS ...

Shaina

I'm changing my views also..its deffinately an SAE ..see how they rest on their tails?? big giveaways...CONGRATS ...

Hurray! I hope you guys are right. I've caught him happily munching on hair algae a few times, and he loves darting through the grasses in the back of the tank, so whatever he is he seems to be enjoying his new home.

I'm maneuvering for a 90 gal within a year or so, so hopefully he's okay without SAE friends until then...

Thank you guys so much for your help!

suer

It is a SAE as I have one in my tank. You have to watch out for the flying fox as they can be pretty agressive. That's why I went with the SAE & not the fox. You did good with the SAE as there great little algae eaters.

Shaina

It is a SAE as I have one in my tank. You have to watch out for the flying fox as they can be pretty agressive. That's why I went with the SAE & not the fox. You did good with the SAE as there great little algae eaters.

Thanks I'm really excited about him. He's pretty small right now, and seems to think he's one of the Otos...he's rarely more than 3" or so from the nearest Oto

I'm already planning on putting a few in my bigger tank, which is still in the planning stages. I understand they prefer to be in small groups -- is that true, do you know?

Marc

SAEs do like to be in groups.

Jimold

Looking at the pics in the tank, not the first ones, it is definitly a true SAE, and a beauty! I have 6, and I'm the guy that wrote the article in last month's on-line mag on how to identify them.
But even without looking closely, between what Shawnie says about it resting, and the fact it hangs with the otos (as do mine) I could tell you it is a true one without looking closely.
Cherish it, and definitly buy it some friends!

Shaina

SAEs do like to be in groups.

Looking at the pics in the tank, not the first ones, it is definitly a true SAE, and a beauty! I have 6, and I'm the guy that wrote the article in last month's on-line mag on how to identify them.
But even without looking closely, between what Shawnie says about it resting, and the fact it hangs with the otos (as do mine) I could tell you it is a true one without looking closely.
Cherish it, and definitly buy it some friends!

Thanks for the info -- I'm on the lookout for a bigger tank and more SAEs -- this is the first one I've seen locally, so I may end up trying to find them online, which I'd rather not do...makes me nervous buying such an easily confused fish sight unseen...

Jimold

Thanks for the info -- I'm on the lookout for a bigger tank and more SAEs -- this is the first one I've seen locally, so I may end up trying to find them online, which I'd rather not do...makes me nervous buying such an easily confused fish sight unseen...

Smart girl, that's the reason I won't buy them on-line, for fear of ending up with Chinese instead of Siamese.

Shaina

Smart girl, that's the reason I won't buy them on-line, for fear of ending up with Chinese instead of Siamese.

Right...or even a bunch of Flying Fox. My MTS is growing, but my pocketbook can only handle so much growth at a time, and housing 4 or so FF's in separate tanks big enough for them would really break the budget...

This just gives me a reason to stop in to the stores even more frequently

Zukuda

Looks like a Flying Fox, but not an SAE really close though!

Shaina

Looks like a Flying Fox, but not an SAE really close though!

Well it's been a while now and he's confirmed as an SAE...as he matured and became used to his environment, his coloring really came out and I don't have any doubt any more. Thanks though

Here he is about a week ago:

Zukuda

Wow, with all of his coloring back, no doubt he is a SAE! Lucky find, I can't find a real one anywhere!

Shaina

Thanks ~ I really was lucky, as I literally picked him out of tank of tons of random algae eaters, and he was the only SAE before or after, at least up until I moved out of there (Ohio) and to Illinois. Still working on finding him a friend since I didn't know they were social until after I got him home...thought they were like flying foxes but "nicer" and more apt to eat algae...oops :s

He seems happy to hang out with the Otos though, even though he's not well over twice their size at about 2.5". Hard to get a good pic though, as he always moves at full speed...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Miss
  • Question
Replies
Views
marly
  • Question