Urgent! Huge nitrite spike in cycled aquarium!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by BlueMint, Aug 4, 2015.

1. BlueMint

BlueMint Valued Member Member

Hello fishlore.

I tested my parameters right now and I discovered a nitrite spike. Im thinking it may be a 1.5 but it could also be in between 2.0 and 5.0. Its hard to tell.

My ammonia is at 0 and nitrates are at 15.

I have one danio beginning to act weird. Its gasping slightly but still swimming around. However, its beginning to stray from the group. The others are normal.

Im about to do a 50% water change. Is this a good course of action? Should I keep this up everyday until the nitrites lower? And will this be really stressful to my danios? I obviously want to save as many as I can.
    I do not have another tank but I can grab a clean tupperware if it comes to that.

Thank you!

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I think daily water changes are a good idea until your nitrites are gone. The water changes will be far less stressful on your danios than the nitrites are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Are you using Prime as your de-chlorinator/water conditioner? If not, pick up a bottle of it, as it will detoxify Ammonia as well as Nitrite for 24 hours. You can also double the dose if necessary. The water changes will be your best course of action, along with dosing the tank itself with prime every 24 hours at standard dose, or 48 hours at double dosage. Also, how long has the tank been cycled for?

4. OP
    OP
    BlueMint

Okay, thank you both!
    I just finished the water change. During the wc, another danio started to act weird though not as much as the first one...
    I dont use Prime since I have not been able to find it anywhere I have been. I use TetraSafe. Ive been to Walmart, Petsmart, and the lfs but none of them sell Prime (which I find weird but okay). Is it really that hard to find?

Will I be okay with just the water changes? And do you think Ill be able to save the danios? :/ Im not sure if the snails are bothered by the nitrites since they are staying in the water and being as active as they always are.

5. Bijou88

Hmmm, weird, petco and petsmart both carry prime here. Walmart doesn't though. Just try to keep your nitrites as close to 0 as you can with water changes (more than 1 per day if necessary) and your fish will likely make it through. Try to match the water you put in the tank to the temperature of the water you take out to lessen the chances of shocking your fish.

6. Bluestreakfl

Petsmart should for sure carry prime. Try using the in store pickup availability on the petsmart website for stores near you. They are really good about keeping availability up to date.

7. OP
    OP
    BlueMint

Ill have to try Petco sometime but I dont visit often since its further away then my lfs.

I think I may be going to test for nitrite right now. I feel the need to know whats going on... I will test in the morning though. And I may do another water change then. Should I go with 50% again?
    And yes, I try to match the water as much as possible. But usually the new water is one degree higher than the tank water. In those cases, I add little by little and take breaks in between so the tank temperature is as stable as possible. Is that bad?

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  8. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

9. OP
    OP
    BlueMint

Thank you! I had not thought about that. I will do so right now.

As for the salt, would it not affect my snails? Maybe Im just being ridiculous but I cringe at the thought of the adding salt to an aquarium with snails, haha. But that probably has to do with those stories people tell about pouring salt on snails (ugh). But Im no snail expert so I wouldnt know :) Thank you for the help nonetheless!

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Get a bottle of Prime and dose to protect your fish. Also pick up a bottle of Seachem Stability to aid the repopulation of your bacteria colony.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. Bluestreakfl

I would not use the salt, with Nitrite already high, the salt is likely to cause more issues. Aquarium salt is sometimes marketed as a magic fix all, but it really isnt and should only be used under very specific circumstances, usually in the form of a bath or dip.

12. Bijou88

I've actually heard that salt can help ward off nitrite poisoning in fish, though with the snails in the tank I absolutely wouldn't add any. A bottle of stability would be a good thing to pick up too, as Dom90 stated, just to give your cycle a little bump in the right direction.

13. OP
    OP
    BlueMint

Well heres an update.
    The one danio who was acting weird is now completely weird. He's gasping a lot at the top and doesnt swim with the group anymore. He also wont eat and I believe I detect bloat in him. The others are normal and ate. I believe Im going to lose this one...
    I just tested for nitrites and it came out at about .15 Id say. Its in between 0 and .25 but its not 0 and its also not .25.
    And sadly, this week I will not be able to go out and buy anything so no Prime for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice