Urgent: how long can fish survive without air?

1. jlallard Member Member

I just came home to find out out power was out and has been for about 2 hours. I also just happened to bring fish home today so they are in their baggies. Our power isn't supposed to be on for another few hours. What do I do???

2. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Well u could go get a battry operated air pump or some sort of energancy back up to plug your heater and filter in but really if its just a few hours id just do a wc with slightly warmer water then is in your tank so that the temp is where it should, be aclimate the fish in the bags and put them in the tank. They will have far more oxygen in the tank even with the filter and air pump off then in those bags . Just make sure when your power is back on u raise the temp in the tank slowly no more then 2 deg an our to make up for the heat lose also u can wrap the tank in a blanket to maintain the heat in the tank

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. jlallard Member Member

Hopefully they'll be fine for now :( I can't run any water until the powers back on

4. frogfan Well Known Member Member

Then just aclimate them with whats in there then raise the temp slowly once the power comes back on

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A few hours shouldn't have any ill effects, the temperature might drop a little but it'll be quite slow.
    I wouldn't do a water change, just acclimatise the fish in the water as is, once the power comes back on the temperature will take a while to come back up again so they won't be shocked by it.