Urgent - How Do I Catch Fish

happah
Hello,

So I just received some shrimp and they are very tiny. It is time I remove the 2 Molly I have in the aquarium. Problem is I cannot catch them; I've tried for one hour, it is Mission Impossible. Do you guys have any tips, how do I get them?

The aquarium is well planted and with quite a bit of hardscape, so they have lots of place to hide and I little maneouver room. I really need to get them out ASAP, as my shrimp are sitting in a bucket, acclimating.

Advertisement
Fanuel
Hello,

So I just received some shrimp and they are very tiny. It is time I remove the 2 Molly I have in the aquarium. Problem is I cannot catch them; I've tried for one hour, it is Mission Impossible. Do you guys have any tips, how do I get them?

The aquarium is well planted and with quite a bit of hardscape, so they have lots of place to hide and I little maneouver room. I really need to get them out ASAP, as my shrimp are sitting in a bucket, acclimating.
I heard using a glass cup is easier because they can’t see it they see through it

Advertisement
Platylover
Have you tried feeding them and having a glass or large net right by the food? If you have a large net you typically can feed them above the net and just get them quickly from there.

Ravenahra
You might want to use food to draw them put of hiding then use the glass cup

Sophari
Aha I know the struggle! Although I’m going to go ahead and assume your tank is bigger than mine and probably even harder to catch fish from!

If you can, take out some of the denser plants just temporarily to give the fish less places to hide.

What always works for me to catch my Molly is one of two ‘techniques’ (aha if you can really call them that)

One way I use which is generally less successful, I put the net in the water and try keep it as stil as possible, until the molly is swimming around and not hiding. Then I sprinkle a small amount of food near the net to entice the fish to come eat, and when she does, I swoop up the net and she’s been caught.

Another way I do is I have a small breeding nets with two pieces of string attached. I lower the net into the tank with the strings, and this doesn’t spook my Molly very much, so she happily investigates. Again, I sprinkle some food into the water just above the centre of the net, and when she comes to eat I pull the strings up, which brings the breeding net around her, then I can proceed with my smaller net to just fish her out easily as she can’t swim away and hide.

HappiestCamper
You can also use a second hand to heard toward the net

Advertisement

PonzLL
Just count to 3

My mom never got past 2 and I'd come running. Who knows, maybe it works on fish too?!

Iboughtmykidfish
Sometimes they're easy to catch when the tank light is off. They're not really expecting anything. Or right when you turn the lights on in the morning. I find they're a little slower for those first seconds after waking up.

BReefer97
I get a delI cup, put it in the tank sideways so a little water goes in, drop some food towards the back of the cup, wait for the fish to see it, and scoop them up. DelI cup works easier for me than a net because the water rushing into the delI cup sucks the fish in with it.

Guanchy
this is assuming you already tried catching them with a net right? I would put the net down in the tank and wait a little so they are swimming around and put some food in the tank, when they go eat it, catch them quickly. It works with my guppies

Advertisement

luckdown
XD I'm bad and usually use my hands instead of nets Cuz all my fish will swim into my hands happily and are way calmer when I transfer them that way.

Nets scare the out of them. But they trust my hands

Lacey D
This video was very helpful to me:

I have endler (molly relative, but tiny), and it's always crazy how easy it is to catch them...all but the one I WANT to catch. But I also feed out of my net--I live feed mosquito larvae, so they're used to exploring the net and aren't as scared of it as other fish.

I usually keep my net near the surface, and just zone out and be patient. Feeding in/near the net helps bring them in. The trick is to NOT raise the net in a hurry. Let them explore, and gently raise it up.

SmallFishGuy
You’ll need a hook on a piece of fishing line... oh wait

happah
I fed and fed and fed and after chasing the little buggers for another hour I finally got them. Phew...

Advertisement

Nickguy5467
use two nets spook him with one and he runs into the other

happah
I'm going to start feeding out of the net - train them to love it, for future attempts.

I was dreaming of selling the wild type shrimp as they appear, but after spending 2 hours for 2 fish....I guess I'll just be stuck with thousands of shrimp

cichlid4life
if you are a lazy person ask someone else to net the fish because it could take a while and it takes a lot of hard working arm movement. and you could get tired with your arm aching.

CosNick
Try not be as gentle as you are, not like to damage them, but more confident

Remove what you can too from the tank.

God trying to catch 6 kuhlI loaches took soooooo **** long

Advertisement

SmallFishGuy
I remember trying to catch my kuhlI loaches the only way I managed to do it was to drain the tank until there was almost no water lol

happah
and I am really considering getting 10 of those...I guess I'll never take them out, until they die of old age.

cichlid4life
I had two but they swam into the filter intake of my aqua clear and I found them there dead in the filter when I came home that day.

IHaveADogToo
use two nets spook him with one and he runs into the other

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Chase them with one net... right into the other net.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DragonFox91
Replies
Views
Koniucha
Replies
Views
RuralGuppykeeper
Replies
Views