Urgent: How Can I Save My Koi Fish?

1. koifish

koifish New Member Member

So i never had to take care of the fish that i have in my house but rather my dad took care of it. He went out of the states for 2 months. But today i found out his eyes are cloudy and he's really twitchy. I water tested the tank water and apparently the ammonia and nitrate levels are out of the scale. I know I have to change water more often now but anything I can do to remedy the fish's problem beside changing water? I feel like he won't make it if all I can do is change water 2 times a week.

Sorry, my tank is about 120 gallons. I just did a 25% water change but should I change water again tomorrow? what do you guys think?

2. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

Keep doing it for like 2 more days.

3. OP
    OP
    koifish

Just to confirm, you mean two more days in a row correct?

4. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

hmm yeah, I would do it tomorrow, wait a day, and do it again

5. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

There's a deeper issue into this...
    Is the tank not cycled?

Since this is urgent.... do you have access do Seachem Prime or can you buy it? You need to use that as a de-chlorinator for the water and also Seachem Prime will help bind and de-toxify any trace of Ammonia and Nitrites in the mean time. I believe you can dose up to 5 times the amount, double check me on this...

If your Ammonia is through the roof.... you might even want to do 50% water changes and check the parameter next day.

Any suggestions my fellow fw friends? @grantm91 @stella1979 @Tanks and Plants

6. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Do at least a 50% wc right away, and 50% every day. Is this city tap water? How are you conditioning it?

What were the test results when your dad was home, when was the last wc prior to fish getting I'll, how large is the koi, and how long was your dad gone?

Did you feed the koi recently, if so how much?

7. OP
    OP
    koifish

I'm not sure if its considered city tap water but its straight from the hose and i put water conditioner that i bought from petco, and the last water change was about a week ago..yeah i didn't realize how much maintenance i needed to take care of these fish :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

I'll try my local petco and see if they have any but if they don't have any, i don't really have immediate access to that

8. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

I don't think Petco carries any Seachem products. Your best bet is going to a local fish store.

Wow. did your dad really not leave you with proper instructions to care for it??

9. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

My Petco does carry Seachem Prime so it is definitely worth looking! I've never had koi but I do have a large fancy goldfish. The species is known to be hardy to parameter spikes so I would imagine that levels are very high if your fish is suddenly ill.

I would suggest doing multiple water changes, back to back with testing afterwards, until you see those parameters are within the safe range.

With water parameters being out of range, the fish is more susceptible to issues that normally would be easily fought off by the immune system. Keep a close eye on him and report anything you see here. If the fish does end up needing medicine you will want to be sure you get the correct kind. The best way to do that is to diagnose as precisely as possible. It can be difficult to do so though so post physical symptoms here, we have some folks that are a lot more practiced at diagnosing that you or I. I can tag someone to help if necessary. Good luck!

Edit: If parameters are suddenly off, it is likely that something affected the cycle. Chlorine in tap water will do that but your conditioner should have prevented that. Please let us know what you are using to remove chlorine, as well as how much your using and the amount of water you used it for. Thanks.