Urgent help

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 AC 110 on my 125 gallon tank. O shut them off yesterday while i did my water change and when i turned them back on one had the motor lock up from sand. I took it apart and put the impeller out and cleaned it off and cleaned out the motor and put it back together. It now works but still can hear it grinding against sand. I didnt want to risk it locking up while at work so i shut it off. What else can i do to get all the sand out and make it right again. Only having 1 AC on it right now is worrying me.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do not but i have been looking into them. I think the big problem was my jack decided to play in the sand right below the intake.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How low is the intake from the bottom? I agree with using the prefilter sponge. Also, if you've shut off your filter, did you at least put your filter media into the other AC or put it in the tank to keep it wet so the BB doesn't die off?

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Its well above the sand and yes the media is in a bucket full of tank water.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
bkaiser3 said:
I have 2 AC 110 on my 125 gallon tank. O shut them off yesterday while i did my water change and when i turned them back on one had the motor lock up from sand. I took it apart and put the impeller out and cleaned it off and cleaned out the motor and put it back together. It now works but still can hear it grinding against sand. I didnt want to risk it locking up while at work so i shut it off. What else can i do to get all the sand out and make it right again. Only having 1 AC on it right now is worrying me.
Maybe take everything apart and rinse them again, dry them off completely, then use a compressed air duster to blast everything clean? At least you can get into tiny places with the little pointy nozzle that usually comes with them.

When my AC locked up once, I just kept rinsing and reassembling until it worked. It took about 3 washes with the hose attachment on my sink.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried multiple washes and spraying out with an air gun and nothing helped so i went to my lfs and bought a new motor and impeller, they sell it for 14.99. I also used an extra(new) filter sponge i had and cut it into 4 pieces and used 2 of them as pre filter sponges. I have 2 more for later one. Hopefully they help. ( Dont mind my jag and green terror being nosy)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom