Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 54 litres

How long has the tank been running?
Nearly 2 years

Does it have a filter? Yes

Does it have a heater? Yes

What is the water temperature? 82

What is the entire stocking of this tank? 6 peppered corydoras, 10 swordtails and some pest snails

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Generally twice a week

How much of the water do you change? Usually between 30 and 40 percent

What do you use to treat your water?
Tap safe

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water? Usually test strips but regulary have it tested at my lfs

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
I've ran out of my test strips but I know my levels are off due to medication cycle and not being able to clean it

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2 times a day in small amounts

How much do you feed your fish? Small amounts

What brand of food do you feed your fish? King British

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Sometimes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had these fish? Almost all of them since the tank started

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 weeks and have used medicine

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Lethargic, blistered(maybe), visible parasites and I think the corydoras are bleeding internally

Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes, I've used an antI parasite medicine as at first I just thought it was regular parasites.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Most was born into my tank.

How has their behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Sleeping at different times, sitting on the bottom of the tank, pacing and not eating

Explain your emergency situation in detail. About 2 weeks ago I noticed visible parasites on the bodies of some of my fish, I had 6 baby balloon mollies in my tank and they had started dying of before hand so I thought it was molly related at first but then the last 2 to die also had the parasites and that's when I noticed. I ordered some medicine online because the medicine to cure parasites wasn't available in any of my local stores.
Once it arrived I cleaned my tank and dosed correctly.
After a few days they seemed to clear up and they all looked much healthier, then when it was nearing the end of the medicine cycle more appeared on their bodies again. I thought it was due to me not emptying my tank so after the cycle finished I emptied it and redosed(the medicine did say it could be a 2 week treatment if it persistes).
The cycle will finish on Monday but I noticed yesterday that 2 of my corydoras was bleeding internally(one of my previous ones had bled internally and died) and one of the swordtails had what looks like a blister on the base of her tail.
I turned the light of early to ease their stress as stress obviously contributes to poor health.
Then when I woke up this morning another one of the swordtails is covered in the same blister looking things and the ones on her head are dissatached at one side.
Most of the fish are gasping for air aswell.
I think another one of my swordtails may have a swim bladder problem or something like that because he can't move from his head at the top of the water with his body pointing down.

The water looks really murky and don't know if that's contributing to it. My filter is not working like it should but I brought a new one and am planning to use it once the tank it clean as to not contaminate it with parasites.
I am at a loss at what to do and I really hope I don't have to euthanize as most of these fish I have raised from fry.
Is there anything anyone can think Of? And should I clean my tank before Monday or leave it until then? Please I really need help.

OP
J

JessieP

Reaction score
Zniaz said:
A picture would really help.
I will try to but like I said murky water and they're skittish aswell so it's going to be difficult

Here's pictures of the swordtail with blister type things on her
20190413_142618.jpg
20190413_142609.jpg
20190413_142603.jpg

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What kind of parasites are we talking? Like, Anchor worms or ick? What kind of medication did you use/are you using? You mentioned it affected your cycle...Well that's probably why your tank is cloudy (it could be the bacteria re-colonizing)...

I would honestly not buy the test strips again and just invest in a liquid master test kit. They're much more accurate and will last you at least 3 years if not longer.

When you say blister, hemorrhagic septicemia comes to mind...and if that is the case, Id recommend pulling the 'healthier' looking guys out of that tank and putting them in a QT for observation....I initially believed HS was bacterial, but I'm reading that it's viral (if it is HS) and viral things don't necessarily have a cure. Though, if it were HS, I would think that it had to come from something that was added to the tank later...it wouldnt just pop out of nowhere and affect all the fish at once like that....unlessss...You've had it in the tank all along, and the depletion of the BB caused stress, weakened everyones immune system and caused a break out...

Well Regardless, I'd say that blister spot looks like it could either be viral, bacterial...or if your ammonia's high it could be an ammonia burn (though you usually see this around the gills)...

Is there a reason the sand bottom is low too? is that because you've removed some? a shorter/less deep gravel bed gives your beneficial bacteria less places to cling too. (they live in the filter and the gravel bed).

OP
J

JessieP

Reaction score
FishGirl38 said:
What kind of parasites are we talking? Like, Anchor worms or ick? What kind of medication did you use/are you using? You mentioned it affected your cycle...Well that's probably why your tank is cloudy (it could be the bacteria re-colonizing)...

I would honestly not buy the test strips again and just invest in a liquid master test kit. They're much more accurate and will last you at least 3 years if not longer.

When you say blister, hemorrhagic septicemia comes to mind...and if that is the case, Id recommend pulling the 'healthier' looking guys out of that tank and putting them in a QT for observation....I initially believed HS was bacterial, but I'm reading that it's viral (if it is HS) and viral things don't necessarily have a cure. Though, if it were HS, I would think that it had to come from something that was added to the tank later...it wouldnt just pop out of nowhere and affect all the fish at once like that....unlessss...You've had it in the tank all along, and the depletion of the BB caused stress, weakened everyones immune system and caused a break out...

Well Regardless, I'd say that blister spot looks like it could either be viral, bacterial...or if your ammonia's high it could be an ammonia burn (though you usually see this around the gills)...

Is there a reason the sand bottom is low too? is that because you've removed some? a shorter/less deep gravel bed gives your beneficial bacteria less places to cling too. (they live in the filter and the gravel bed).
I'm not sure exactly what parasite it is because by looking I'd have guessed anchor worms but I read that it can only come from new fish and I haven't had any new fish in over 6 months.
The medicine is interpet antI parasite and crustacean because I wasn't sure exactly what parasite and that one said it would clear them all so I played it safe.
The sand is like that because I removed as much as I could so the parasites didn't lay eggs in it and breed further, but as you can see I couldn't remove it all without emptying the entire tank.
Not many of my fish look too healthy at the moment so I don't really know which ones could be healthier, I really hope that there's something I can do so at least some of them survive. I really hope it's not an internal parasite.

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, I'm taking it that you saw physical worms on the sides and bodies of your fish?? If they had a 'V' shaped end then those are anchor worms. They're probably still attached to your fish even after using medication though, I've read they need to be physically removed if they're anchor worms.

There are a lot of different types of parasites. The active ingredient in the medication you're using (I've read) is sodium chlorite. It's effective against gill maggots, leeches, anchor worms, and fish lice. are the parasites visibly gone now that you've used the meds?

Knowing what your water parameters are too would help tremendously. Would give us an idea of what's going on with your cycle and may help us help you understand why the tank is cloudy.

Are you using carbon? did you remove it when you medicated? If they had internal parasites and you haven't added any new fish, and you've had these fish for a long time, then I would assume the internal parasites would be presenting themselves by now. You'd see them hanging out of the vent of your fish. Or you'd see other abdominal symptoms that would indicate a possible internal parasite.

OP
J

JessieP

Reaction score
FishGirl38 said:
So, I'm taking it that you saw physical worms on the sides and bodies of your fish?? If they had a 'V' shaped end then those are anchor worms. They're probably still attached to your fish even after using medication though, I've read they need to be physically removed if they're anchor worms.

There are a lot of different types of parasites. The active ingredient in the medication you're using (I've read) is sodium chlorite. It's effective against gill maggots, leeches, anchor worms, and fish lice. are the parasites visibly gone now that you've used the meds?

Knowing what your water parameters are too would help tremendously. Would give us an idea of what's going on with your cycle and may help us help you understand why the tank is cloudy.

Are you using carbon? did you remove it when you medicated? If they had internal parasites and you haven't added any new fish, and you've had these fish for a long time, then I would assume the internal parasites would be presenting themselves by now. You'd see them hanging out of the vent of your fish. Or you'd see other abdominal symptoms that would indicate a possible internal parasite.
The parasites I could see before have gone, now the one of them has what looks like ich left after the others went away.
I usually do use carbon but I removed it to put medicine in because the carbon would make the medicine innaffective.
It's good to know they're not internal as I would of had to euthanize to be humane.
Do you think I should try cleaning the water today or leave it until Monday when the medicines week cycle finishes?

OP
J

JessieP

Reaction score
DEAD FISH PICTURE WARNING:

20190413_223609.jpg
Just checked my fish and one of the swordtails has died
She had one blister like the other one I pictured(but she was worse) so I took a still picture to see if looking at this can help save the others.

OP
J

JessieP

Reaction score
The first fish I posted pictures of has just died, at least they aren't in pain anymore.
I just hope I can figure this out so I don't lose them all.

Currently I don't think any look close to death but sometimes you can't really tell.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom