Urgent HELP: Sick fish cant figure out whats wrong.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Nail, Apr 10, 2010.

1. NailNew MemberMember

Uhg I've been trying to cure my fish but I just can't figure out whats wrong with them, I've treated them for just about everything, I've seperated the fish showing symptoms but reguardless I'd hate to lose them. They show symptoms of ammonia poisoning but theres no ammonia and now one looks like it's hemorrhaging from every oraphus of his tiny little body it's so sad looking at him. Im not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that he stopped sitting around aimlessly with his head at the surface or not, and it's just all my danios with these symptoms. >: Help me?

2. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Post some pictures asap! If you do some members can help you.

I hope your fish will be alright,
    Jake

3. OP
    OP
    N

NailNew MemberMember

Thats kinda like asking the impossible they're so tiny. I'd have to use my cellphone for pictures which isnt great quality what if I drew a picture?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
  4. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Well pictures usually are more helpful.

Also, wait for other members to help you. I don't keep danios so maybe ask your LFS or people who keep danios.

5. OP
    OP
    N

NailNew MemberMember

I've gone to three different ones including the one I usually buy my fish from, I've treating them for internal parasites external, bacteria, ich, velvet, Ive been changing the water constantly. You have NO idea how much ive spent on fish medication, theres so much of it sitting in my room I'm probably going to get cancer from it all. And it's frustrating, because I don't know if I should be treating my angels too or not since I quarentined them when I don't know whats wrong. The pet store said the water quality was absalutely perfect except for the PH level was a little high so I neutralized it. 1 out of six of the danios looks like it's bleeding to death from every oraphusof it's tiny little body and it's horrible to look at.

6. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Could you please post your water test parameters please. ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
    Anytime there is an obvious problem a large water change is your first line of defense. It will certainly make the fish feel better.
    Carol

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi Nail, welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm really sorry you're having problems.
    However, please don't be rude, it's against forum rules, as is the use of curse words.

We realize that you're frustrated, however, it's only been a little over an hour since you started this thread.
    Please be patient, sometimes you have to wait for the right person to log on who can help you.

Best of luck, I hope someone will be able to help you.

8. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Good morning, Nail, and welcome to fishlore. I am sorry that you are having trouble with your fish. When our fish get sick, it is usually related to water conditions, so that is the first thing we try to rule out. Knowing your water parameters would be very helpful.

I know that you are upset. The members here will try to help you.

9. OP
    OP
    N

NailNew MemberMember

ammonia 0, id have to check nitrate and nitrite again to get exact numbers, but steadily they have been good. I have been changing the water constantly. the first one was big and I vacume whenever I change the water.

10. Butterfly

Thank you for your response. Please do re check the nitrite and Nitrate.
    What all have you treated the fish for? What meds have you used?
    Have you added any new fish or plants lately?
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    N

NailNew MemberMember

The only thing that was abit high was the PH level I had the pet store even check my water conditions on everything to make sure my tests were working properly. They confirmed that everything was fine but the PH level which I've now treated.

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I would highly suggest that you not add any chemicals to alter your pH levels. I see that you've stated that you neutralized it as it was a bit high. Most fish can adapt to the pH levels directly from the tap. Chemicals used to alter pH levels can be unstable and lead to a pH crash.
    There are natural ways to alter your pH described in the link below:

Best wishes!
    Ken

13. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Hmmm.. if you added stuff to alter your pH, that can sometimes crash a tank. How long ago was that?

Also, most fish will adjust to the pH of your tank, but fluctuations can be dangerous for them. If the new pH stressed them out, then they would be more susceptible to illness, as stress can lead to a compromised immune system.

14. Butterfly

Testing your own tanks ahs distinct advantageous. Pet stores will frequently say your numbers are fisn hoping you will buy more stuff as you see with the pH adjuster.
    Please tell us what meds you've used so we know what you've treated for.

When you did water changes what dechlorinating agent did you use?
    carol

15. OP
    OP
    N

NailNew MemberMember

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph neutral.

I don't keep live plants so no live plants, I recently got a BGK and 2 angel fish which I quarentined before putting into my tank, the BGK has passed away last week though from probably what my danios are dying from. My angels seem fine but starting to show some of the danios symptoms.

And I adjusted the PH level today, my fish have been dying for like 2 weeks now.

And medicines i've used are, parasite clear by jungle, anti parasite by jungle, malachite green, Mardel coppersafe, metronidazole.

:animal0068:I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between. This helps to save some space on the forum. There is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections or additional thoughts should there not be an immediate response.
    Thanks!
    KEn

16. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Nail,

Either your tank isn't cycled or you're going through a mini cycle for some reason. Or either you need to really mix that Nitrate bottle really well. Beat it in your hand, on the counter for a couple of minutes. Without a planted tank you should have some trace of Nitrates. Best under 20. Sometimes crystals form in the bottom of the bottles and may give an inaccurate reading.

Let's see what others have to say.

I have a feeling there is so much medications in the tank that the cycle may have already crashed.
    Ken

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  17. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

0 nitrates means your tank is not cycled. I'm not sure if it is a situation where it never was, or is now going through a mini-cycle.

Daily water changes with a conditioner called Prime will help. Your tank is cycled when your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates. You'll first see a rise in ammonia, then nitrites, and finally nitrates.

I think your fish may have been getting sick because of exposure to a cycling tank. It leaves the immune system weakened.

edit: Ken's a :;nin2

18. OP
    OP
    N

NailNew MemberMember

....I shook it really hard all of them, nothing, there is NOTHING. And my fish were showing their symptoms long before I put any medication into the tank, ive recently removed the danios because theyre on their last leg and put them in my 10 gallon holding tank, my angels seem perfectly fins my neons are alive and well my loach is good. it just the danios.

My danios were my cycling fish for all my tanks. They were the first fish I baught and I purchased them in the beginning to cycle my tank.

19. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Ah, that explains a lot. Cycling with fish is extremely hard on them. The exposure to toxins burns gills and does internal organ damage. If it doesn't kill them, it shortens their lives. Poor fish. :(

The members of this forum teach methods to cycle a tank without adding fish. It requires some patience, but doesn't harm anyone. If you start a tank in the future, we can help you with these methods.

20. OP
    OP
    N

NailNew MemberMember

well only my blue fins were my original starting fish, which are in the worst shape and have ammonia burn. the zebras have been well best way I can describe it is seizures. They twitch flinch and bolt, rapid breathing etc. The bluefin who originally started symptoms is now hemorrhaging , 1 of the blue fins have already which was the other original theyre severely anorexic, though the bluefins have stopped sitting at the top now but still rapid breathing twitching flinching etc, Im guessing im doing something right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice